IPN Problem / Curl error: name lookup timed out

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by lipwebmaster, Apr 20, 2012.

1. lipwebmaster

lipwebmaster New Member

Hi, starting yesterday my IPN's from PayPal are not going through, and subscriptions therefore are not being created. Help would be very much appreciated!

In my logs I see the following error:

Curl error: name lookup timed out
    Exception HTTP_Request2_ConnectionException
    HTTP_Request2_Adapter_Curl::wrapCurlError [ library/pear/HTTP/Request2/Adapter/Curl.php : 196 ]
    HTTP_Request2_Adapter_Curl->sendRequest [ library/pear/HTTP/Request2.php : 923 ]
    HTTP_Request2->send [ library/Am/Paysystem/Transaction/Paypal.php : 90 ]
    Am_Paysystem_Transaction_Paypal->validateSource [ library/Am/Paysystem/Transaction/Incoming.php : 276 ]
    Am_Paysystem_Transaction_Incoming->validate [ library/Am/Paysystem/Transaction/Abstract.php : 45 ]
    Am_Paysystem_Transaction_Abstract->process [ library/Am/Paysystem/Transaction/Incoming.php : 222 ]
    Am_Paysystem_Transaction_Incoming->process [ library/Am/Paysystem/Abstract.php : 442 ]
    Am_Paysystem_Abstract->directAction [ application/default/controllers/DirectController.php : 35 ]
    DirectController->__call [ library/Am/Controller.php : 118 ]
    Am_Controller->dispatch [ library/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php : 295 ]
    Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch [ library/Zend/Controller/Front.php : 954 ]
    Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch [ library/Am/App.php : 1372 ]
    Am_App->run [ index.php : 41 ]
  2. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Please contact your webhosting support - DNS lookups on your webhosting server are not working.
  3. lipwebmaster

lipwebmaster New Member

Hi Alex, thanks for responding. I've contacted my support and they have replied with the following:

We checked with our System administrators. They advised that if there is such a cURL related error on our side, then the script is attempting to connect to some remote IP address at PayPal.com. If the DNS lookup for this connection fails, then we would need the target IP. Please check with the aMember support and ask them which is this IP. This would allow our System administrators to check this further.

Hopefully you can assist with this?
  4. microvb

microvb Member

@lipwebmaster

PayPal.com uses Round-robin DNS which means there is no single specific PayPal IP address. This is a rather peculiar issue which is out of the norm as most hosting companies or pc's connected to the internet will use DNS to get the most recent lookup for a domain. It sounds like there is some sort of instruction on the machine where your site is hosted is having outbound DNS issues which are usually related to any of the following:

Using faulty DNS addresses in your NIC configuration.
    Running an improperly configured DNS server from the same box (or attempting to build a root DNS server).
    Host file is bypassing standard lookups to external DNS, or to the domain in question.
    Firewall is blocking outbound connections

Re-asses your network configuration and if you are still having issues and can not determine the cause, then switch hosts --- HostGator, or FatCow.com are pretty good bang for the buck and both will work with aMember4 .