IPN Failure

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by yaoifix, May 13, 2015.

1. yaoifix

yaoifix New Member

I recently migrated my website and aMember to a new webhost and server.

Although aMember is functioning fine, my Paypal insists on using an incorrect IPN url. The version of aMember I had before was 3.2.something and with the move I upgraded to 4.6.something. Now, the IPN url seems to be different, but when I updated Paypal to reflect the IPN given by aMember, Paypal is keeping all former subscribers to my site on the old url. Paypal only uses the correct IPN url for brand new subscribers.

Has anyone else had this issue?

How did you fix it?
  2. yaoifix

yaoifix New Member

Update: Called Paypal support. They said the old url is defaulted on the all subscriptions from before the server move and can't be changed. They recommended placing an IPN script at the old url's location. Inside is a basic script with a post to the new IPN url.

This should reroute all IPN instances to the new url and keep everything happy. However, it's still failing. Going to call them back tomorrow.

Will keep everyone posted incase others have a similar issue. If anyone has dealt with this before and has advice, please let me know.
  3. yaoifix

yaoifix New Member

New Update:

The error code that keeps coming up for the old IPN url in the IPN History log is a 404 Not Found error. This means that Paypal is searching for the location but not accessing the file. Yet, the file is truly there on the server. I tried opening the file path in my browser and it shows the same error.

However, if I upload the ipn.php to a different folder, one that's not the /amember folder, I can open the path and get a simple blank page.

The only real difference between the two paths is that /amember folder contains an .htaccess file. These files are used to restrict access to areas. Maybe that's why Paypal can't get the message through?

I'm not sure why Paypal's able to access the new IPN url though...

Does anyone have any ideas about how the .htaccess is restricting Paypal?

Or is there another reason for a 404 error when the file is actually there?
  4. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

5. yaoifix

yaoifix New Member

6. yaoifix

yaoifix New Member

Never mind, that was it. Looks like it's working now because the IPNs that were retrying about twenty minutes ago are starting to come back as Sent and the url listed on the message is the old one. So, they're being redirected successfully.

Thanks so much!
    alexander likes this.
  7. yaoifix

yaoifix New Member

Alexander,

The redirect works great but aMember isn't updating user access automatically. I'm having to go into the system and manually input user payments to renew their subscriptions. It there a way to check what's causing this issue?
  8. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Check aMember CP -> Logs -> Error log or Invoice log. All incoming IPN messages are stored in invoice log, so if there was a problem you should see an error message here.