IP Recognition Setting Questions

Discussion in 'Paid Site Marketing' started by marko4379, Aug 18, 2008.

1. marko4379

marko4379 New Member

I run a membership website using amember, and I'm very interested in the ip recognition as a means of protecting against account sharing.

My concern is whether I'll cause myself a lot of customer service headaches by setting the IP number to 1 or 2. Specifically, if my users have a dynamic ip address, does amember have a way of dealing with that?

Obviously the ideal scenario for me is that my users will buy a membership from the computer they'll be using most often, which will register their primary IP. After that I'd like to set it so they can log in from one other place, or maybe two - but no more.

Thanks!
  2. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

The quick answer is, it depends.

There are two values that you are taking into account when enabling account sharing prevention.

1. The number of IP variances
    2. The time frame by which to consider

So default, I believe, is 3 IP addresses in 12 minutes. Which essentially allows a user to have 3 different IP addresses in th period of 12 minutes.

For most, this is probably overkill, but some on this forum have reported seeing users IPs changing every 1 minute, hence my "it depends"

I personally think you are ok setting it to 2 IPs in a 30 minute window, but the good news is that you can set the security way up (2 IPs in 1440 minutes) and have it only email you (not disable the user) so you can see just how big of an impact it would be.
  3. marko4379

marko4379 New Member

Thanks Skippy -

That's just what I needed to know, and great point about being able to set it really high and observe the impact without having to interrupt user experience. Thank you for your time.