Installing on Advanced VPS with cPanel and WHM

Discussion in 'Installation' started by alexpylev, Feb 10, 2012.

1. alexpylev

alexpylev New Member

Hello,

Recently I moved from a shared hosting to VPS (Apache and CentOS). And got installation problem with v 4. of aMember, but v.3 as it seems has installed correctly. My provider refused to support me with this issue. So I contacted help desk ... as well as support of cPanel and here is their reply:

"Mod Rewrite is enabled in the server:
    root@alexpilev [/home/apilev3]# /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -M | grep -i rewrite
    Syntax OK
    rewrite_module (static)
    root@alexpilev [/home/apilev3]#

I am not sure what software you're attempting to use, but mod rewrite is enabled and working as far as I can tell. I am not sure what aMember is but it appears to not be a cPanel supported protect. I suggest perhaps reading through it's documentation and making sure you have the installation prerequisites setup correctly. "

Does anyone has a solution for this? Please HELP!

Alexander

The log of aMember:
    "Seems your webhosting does not support mod_rewrite rules required by aMember. There may be several reasons:
    • You have not uploaded file amember/.htaccess (it might be hidden and invisble with default settings)
    • Your webhosting has no mod_rewrite module enabled. Contact tech support to get it enabled
    • Your webhosting uses software different from Apache webserver. It requires to convert rewrite rules located in amember/.htaccess file into the webserver native format. Contact webhosting tech for details.
    You may continue aMember installation, but aMember will not work correctly until mod_rewrite issues are resolved."
  2. alexpylev

alexpylev New Member

resolved;)

was an incomplete extraction of .htaccess file issue
  3. tlever

tlever New Member

Can someone please tell me what that means ' an incomplete extraction of .htaccess file issue"?? This problem was posted but no details of the solution. My VPS host pointed me to this thread as the problem and solution for that same error above that I'm getting. I can't find an .htaccess file anywhere in the files amember provided and don't understand what any of this means.

All I know is that I've been trying to just get past the very first screen of the initial setup and can't even get past that, for like 4 days now. It's become incredibly frustrating and makes me feel like this software doesn't function at all when you can't even make it past the first setup screen.

the host claims everything is correct and functioning as it should on their end. But is still get the error which points towards the host having mod_rewrite problems - same error as indicated above.
  4. tlever

tlever New Member

ok, finally figured it out. For those not as experienced, like me, there is a hidden file in the amember directory of files called ".htaccess" In this particular error, if your host indicates all is correct with mod_rewrite than the likely cause of the error is that somehow that .htaccess file didn't upload correctly to your ftp when you initially uploaded all the files.
    You'll need to locate that hidden file on your computer (for Mac peeps, google show hidden files on mac) and then reupload it to your amember directory online. For me, that solved the issue as it did for the OP above.
    kellye likes this.
  5. pmontero

pmontero New Member

same problem for me, any help to fix it?
    I uploaded the .htaccess file but the problem is still there
  6. annaj

annaj New Member

I have experienced the same problem. When the .htaccess file is there, it displays an error message saying:

"Forbidden You don't have permission to access /amember/setup/ on this server."

When I rename /amember/.htaccess and /amember/setup/.htaccess to something else, then I can see the setup screen ok.

rewrite is installed in Apache.

Logged a ticked with support yesterday, will post a message here when they respond and the issue is resolved.
  7. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

For folks using cpanel - you can simply upload the amember zip file and extract it using your cpanel file manager. That way, you won't miss upload of any files.

Cheers
    Rob
  8. annaj

annaj New Member

I used ssh and did:

unzip amember-4.2.6.zip

It doesn't miss any files. :)

I'm quite sure this is a problem with amember.
  9. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

@annaj - you seem to be talking about a different issue to the one originally posted which was an incomplete extraction of the zip.
  10. agency

agency New Member

I have the same problem and i am sure too. Please fix problem.
  11. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

This is confirmed.
    Files in archive have wrong permissions. This does not matter when you use ftp to upload files, but when you extract files on the server through ssh, new created files have (600) permissions.
    We are working on a fix. Please use ftp to upload aMember PRO files or chmod files after upload.
    Set 644 permissions for all files and 755 for folders.
  12. agency

agency New Member

4.2.6.zip seem to have no admin area. Amember run very good several years ago but this one is really terrible and not worth the money, i wasted some hours in installation yet and nothing works.
  13. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

@agency - there is no admin folder, correct. v4 uses mod_rewrite and Zend to 'create' an admin directory from the application controllers. I have 4.2.6 running on two of my sites (one with over 3000 users) and it works perfectly. If you set the permissions as Alexander specifies above (not uncommon with ANY php script, BTW) then it should hopefully work for you too.

Or if you are not so comfortable installing a php script, why not ask the support team to install the script for you? They are very happy to do that for new customers.
  14. agency

agency New Member

After installation, a link site appears with link to admin area as follows

http://myhomepage.com/amember/admin/

I use amember for 10 years now and moved 4x to new servers with current version. I always did manage that. But 4.2.6. seems to be very very buggy or tricky, faulty and incomplete. I think about installing 3.xxx again.
  15. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Michael,
    There is no admin folder in download, this is correct.
    aMember redirect all requests such as /amember/admin/ and /amember/signup etc... internally through mod_rewrite.
    So if you have aMember installed already but still can't access /amember/admin/ folder, there is a problem with /amember/.htaccess file.
    Please check:
    1. Does the file exists?
    2. Does it have correct content? (try to reuplaod it from installation package again)
    3. Does it have correct permissions? (644)
    I've fixed permissions issues mentioned in this forum thread . So you can download install package again from your member's area and unzip all files again and this should help.
    Also you can provide ftp info I will install script and make sure that it is working.