Installing Amember into wordpress folder

Discussion in 'Installation' started by playpianoking, Oct 18, 2012.

1. playpianoking

playpianoking Member

mysite.com is regular html and acts as the sale page.

User content is in mysite.com/members which is the wordpress theme installation. In this folder contains an index.php file.

My question is do I install the amember files at mysite.com/members? There is a conflict because amember also has an index.php file and it asks to overwrite.

Do I have to have amember as a separate directory inside of wordpress like this: mysite.com/members/amember ?

FYI I've already downloaded the amember wordpress plugin and activated it.
  2. playpianoking

playpianoking Member

In other words: Site.com/wordpress/amember ?

Or

Site.com/wordpressamember (in same folder, which causes clash with two index files)

Or

Site.com/amember/wordpress?
  3. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

my recommendation
    site.com/wordpress or site.com for wordpress in the root.
    site.com/amember (under different name like site.com/member
    site.com/content (for amember protected folders)

David
  4. playpianoking

playpianoking Member

Hi David,

I don't understand - because:
    In site.com/wordpress where are the amember files located?
    In site.com/amember where is the wordpress directory?
    In site.com/content where is the wordpress & amember directory?

site.com for me is just an html page. I want the members area run by wordpress in the sub-folder such as site.com/wordpress. But after I unzip amember and get the amember folder which then has folders and files inside, can I upload those folders and files to the site.com/wordpress? The problem with this is that there is already an index.php file inside of site.com/wordpress and one of the amember files is index.php which would overwrite.
  5. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

What David is saying, and I agree with his recommendation, is that your site, if it is Linux based will will have a folder such as 'public_html' where the content of your site is kept.

How upload wordpress files to public_html/wordpress
    upload aMember files to public_html/amember
    Upload your protected content to public_html/protected content

You can have any number of protected content wach protected in aMember admin panel.

If you don't want to encourage problems keep aMember and WordPress separate and keep your protected content, in general, on its own.
  6. playpianoking

playpianoking Member

Ok, that makes sense, thank you! :)
    I wasn't sure at first if amember could only protect directories that were within it.
  7. tokazama2

tokazama2 aMember Pro Customer

I was having the same problem. I was looking for the path using my ftp program. When I viewed my site there the wordpress folder was just in 'root'. To find the actual path I had to log into my hosting service (GoDaddy). For GoDaddy you go to the hosting control panel. Look for "absolute hosting path". My path was listed right there for me. /home/content/xx/xxxxxxx/html.