Import users and payment history from spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Installation' started by nc3man, Apr 11, 2016.

1. nc3man

nc3man aMember Pro Customer

I am helping an organization set up aMember PRO to assist with managing their membership. Their current membership is stored manually in a spreadsheet. I understand how to import basic user information by using a csv view of their members, but I have a couple of questions about how to get their past and current status into aMember.
    1. They currently do not have passwords setup for any kind of online access. Can we initialize all of them to a special password state, that will require them to create a password the first time the member needs to access aMember, to either edit their profile or add/renew subscription?
    2. How do we import past payments into the aMember database from the CSV file? How do we set their status to either Active or Expired? If they are Active, how do we set the expiration date? We would like that to be one year from the last payment received.
    Thank you
  2. jenolan

jenolan aMember Coder

3. nc3man

Thank you - I had read the first reference. That looks like I can only set an initial subscription. I could not see how I would import, say, previous payments and time periods. Some members may have a 2 year history, others 5 years, still others 8 years, etc. Do we lose all this data when we import? This organization wants to keep it all together.
  4. jenolan

jenolan aMember Coder

Not using the standard import, depends on what you want captured. You could create a field 'Member Since' and set that if you just want to know how long they had been a member. Importing a full payment profile would require coding something custom unless the aMember guys have something they have already cooked up.

If you want me to have a look at doing some code you will need to raise a ticket over at JLogica.
  5. nc3man

I understand how to add a custom field, but how would I tie the "Member Since" date to the Expiration Date for the subscription I set them to? They have a few hundred members who will all have different expiration dates and we want the automated expiration notices sent out when the time comes.
    Thanks again...
  6. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

@nc3man you can add line for each subscription entity to your CSV user file.
    aMember has 3 mode of import:
    1. Skip Line if Exist User with Same Login
    2. Update User if Exist User with Same Login
    3. Overwrite User if Exist User with Same Login
    You can use second mode and aMemeber will add additional subscription for each record to same user account. I suggest to prepare small CSV file and play with it on test installation to see how it works.