I need help!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by chris_nerat, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris_nerat

chris_nerat Member

I recently started a new post regarding a problem I am having with my customers (members) not being able being able to view the content released to them via the "drip content" feature of aMember. It seems the support staff here is 8 hours ahead of me so I get maybe one reply asking for information but then it takes another day before I hear anything more from them.

I am reaching out to this community with the hope that someone over all these years has had my same problem and can provide me with a solution.

Here is my problem -

I run a course where my members will receive 1 video each day of their membership, and I started everyone on October 1st. Everything was going fine....they received their email from AWeber with a link to their Day 1 video, they clicked on the link which brought them to their login screen, they logged in and went straight to the Day 1 video. That process worked great for the first 4 days. However, on day 5 when they clicked on the link in their email and tried to login to view the Day 5 video, they were redirected to the signup page because they didn't have access to the content.

I have checked the settings for the video in WordPress and the "n-th day is set to 5, the video has been published, and their membership is active, yet they do not have access to it.

While waiting for the staff to help figure this out, I found that if I manually changed my member's start date to one day earlier, i.e. September 30th and then changed it back to their actual start date of October 1st, they were able to view the Day 5 video. This is what I have had to do for the past 2 days because changing their start date only works for that one day, and then the next day I have to do it again.

If anyone has experienced this and has discovered a fix for it PLEASE let me know.

Thank you.
  2. chris_nerat

chris_nerat Member

I may have discovered the problem but not sure? Since everything else seems like it is in order (from my understanding) is it possible that my issue is due to a delay in a cron job?

Let me clarify -- October 5th was the first day my customers were not able to see the video of the day. While I was looking for answers, I noticed in the aMember control panel -- Admin/Utilities/System Info there was a line that read "Cron Last Run" 10/5/15 12:12 PM -- today(October 6th) it read the same "Cron Last Run" 10/6/15 12:12 PM

Now, I have two test accounts that were experiencing the same problem of not seeing the content, but I did not change the start dates on those two accounts, yet today at approximately 12:15 pm I was able to view the video I was not able to see earlier in the day. Is it possible that the Cron job is running 12 hours later than what it should...and if it ran at 12:12 AM everything would be fine?
  3. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

4. chris_nerat

chris_nerat Member

Hi Rob,

Thank you for the confirmation!

I know that my host does give the ability to setup cron jobs but I have never set one up myself. I always get a little nervous when changing things inside my cPanel for the first time -- what are the consequences of doing it wrong?
  5. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Hi Chris,

If you get it wrong and make it run too often (e.g every minute), the only consequence is slightly more load on your server.

If you get it wrong and it stops running (or runs less often than once an hour) then you get the kind of issues you've seen - such as access that isn't granted/revoked.

But, as you are on cPanel, you'll pretty much just be changing some numbers in the hour/day boxes.

It wants to look like this:

Screen Shot 2015-10-07 at 18.43.35.png

Cheers
    Rob
  6. chris_nerat

chris_nerat Member

Rob,

Thanks for the reply and pic. I went ahead earlier today and set it to run 2x/day to test it out. It looks like this -
    0 0,12 * * * - I chose that from a list of "common" settings provided via a drop-down list in cPanel -- I checked it right after 12:00PM today and it worked but the true proof will come tomorrow at 12:00AM -- if I don't have to manually reset my customers start dates tomorrow morning then I'll know my problem has been solved.

Thanks again for the responses -- much appreciated:)

Chris
  7. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

You really need it set hourly as per my picture, Chris, as aMember has daily and hourly hooks that may need to run and they can only do that when the cron runs.

Cheers
    Rob
  8. chris_nerat

chris_nerat Member

Oh...okay. I was thinking twice would be enough to make sure the customers accounts were being updated, I wasn't aware of the other things that needed to run. I'll change it to every hour then --- thanks for keeping an eye on me lol

Chris
    robw likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.