How To Start Correctly With Amember Pro

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by nlnsta, Jan 8, 2004.

1. nlnsta

nlnsta Guest

Hello, Scott here.

First things first - aMember Pro is definitely the very best product out there for what I am looking at doing. I want to build a member only site with various features inside the "protected" area - and this leads directly to my question....
    What is the correct (read: "smartest") way to proceed with aMember Pro? Should I build my site from the ground up first, using my templates in DreamWeaver and get everything configured exactly the way I want (making sure that all member area stuff is contained within a Members directory), and THEN get aMember Pro installed and configured to "protect" the Members directory? OR, should I get aMember installed with nothing on my site, and then populate aMember Pro with my content?
    I apologise if this question seems "silly" to the experts out there - however, I am just trying to get my head around the correct path to take so as not to waste too much time at the build stage - so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.
    Scott Nolan.
  2. alex-adm

alex-adm Guest

Scott,
    Thank you!
    it really doesn't make sense when you order aMember Pro (of course, we recommend you to do it as soon as possible :) ). aMember is not trying to be a CMS or somehow handle your content.

All you have to do is to put all "members only" content into separate folder, lets say "/members/". Of course, aMember supports more comlicated configurations as well, but it is just more practical and easy to maintain.

When we (or you) will install aMember on your site, we will just put .htaccess file into /members folder, so it becomes protected. Signup, login, password reminder and some other member-side pages will be in amember/ folder, all content will be in members/ folder and you still be able to manage content with your favorite tool (DreamWeaver, Frontpage, Notepad).
  3. nlnsta

nlnsta Guest

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the information.

That helps clarify things for me. I will finalise my design phase and purchase soon.
    Scott.