How to Protect a Page

Discussion in 'Setting-up protection' started by sincejan, Dec 2, 2012.

1. sincejan

sincejan New Member

Okay this is crazy, i want to protect a page and simply can;t. I am lost. I am using 4.23 and want to protect a page on my site but has no way or instructions how to do it like to old way. What am i doing wrong?
  2. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

3. sincejan

sincejan New Member

it contains a single page on my server. yet there is no documentation to do it. What a disappointment. All i want to do is when a user click on a button it prompts them to register. This version has no way of geerating any protection code
  4. sincejan

sincejan New Member

It's a single page
  5. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

Maybe I am missing the point here. First you say you want to protect a page so I pointed you to the wiki where it describes how. In aMember admin select from left-hand menu protect content then pages from the top menu.

Then you come back wanting a button on a page that prompts them to register. Can you explain exactly what you are looking to do?

If you are wanting to have a page that displays normally but with a button that points to the aMember signup page then all you need is to construct a normal html button with a link that points to 'yoursite.com/amember/signup' but this bit is really out of the scope of aMember program.

Or perhaps a link to the page you are referring to might be more helpful.
  6. sincejan

sincejan New Member

Ok you're missing the point here. I read the directions but my page is not protected. my page "downloads.php" is the page that need protecting. There is no instructions on how to protect that page. The old amember gave you codes to place inside the page but this one does nothing. Can you tell me how to do that
  7. sincejan

sincejan New Member

This software is insanity, highly illogical and confusing. I would put this down as a lost and for something else which makes sense. You people should be ashamed of yourself. I've been using version 3 for 5 years and made the mistake of upgrading, now nothing works, a simple question results in arrogant condescending responses which as a paying customer is unacceptable. You've just lost yourself a customer. a full paying customer which you;re going to need lots of with this foolish upgrade.
  8. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Hi,
    Here is direct link to articly which explains how to protect single php files:
    http://www.amember.com/docs/Content/PHPScripts
    The protection method is almost the same as it was, you have to includle php code into your script.
    If you have any issues with that protection method, feel free to submit ticket to helpdesk, we will help to setup protection.
    Also you can contact me in Skype directly: alexander_cgicentral to get faster help.
  9. sincejan

sincejan New Member

Thanks for answering, I have other issues with this upgrade

(1) Customization. In the old version, i could customize my login/signup pages by going to "login.html and signup.html" in the template folder. How could i do this in this version?

(2) Everytime i log into my control panel, i get this message Could you tell me how to turn it off or what i have done to cause this. '
    Cron job has been running last time NEVER (oops! no records that it has been running at all!), it is more than 24 hours before.
    Most possible external cron job has been set incorrectly. It may cause very serious problems with the script" C
  10. sincejan

sincejan New Member

Issue (3) This is bad, after signing up, i get this error, i look at my membership and i am registered.
    An Error has occured
    An internal error happened in the script, please contact webmaster for details)
  11. alexander

1. Sure you can change amember templates. Please have a look:
    http://www.amember.com/docs/Themes_and_Templates

2. You have to configure external cron job:
    http://www.amember.com/docs/Cron
    Message will dissapear when cron is executed first time
    3. Please check aMember CP -> Logs there should be error description and additiona debug info about this error.
    Please post full error message here, or contact us in helpdesk.
  12. sincejan

sincejan New Member

Okay you win, this is insanity, you of absolutely no damn help to me and i ough to get a refund. Go ahead and keep my money for a product that does not work. I would revert to version 3 as this is a complete piece of garbage software upgrade. What you;re doing is sending me links that i've already been. What the hell, i am a web developer don;t you think i know my way around a directory structure? This damn folder does not exist "application/default/views/ user-side templates" so i can;t personalize my login. I am stuck with your ugly logo in my face. I don;t need any cron job as i am not selling anything on the site. So i must live with that damn error in my face. You people are idiots, worst of all you don;t help your customers, you should be litigated out of this business and i wish i had the resources to do it. To all planning to upgrade to this software, DON"T, it's stress waiting to happen. Amember want your money but are not willing to help GFY!!!!!
  13. alexander

sincejan,
    Bad day? There is no need to be rude.
    Please see attached screenshot. It shows folders structure inside aMember folder. What ftp client do you use? I can create a video which will show you how to access /amember/application/default/views/ folder.
    views folder.png

If you have been on this page: http://www.amember.com/docs/Cron
    You should have seen this message:

aMember cron job required to handle recurring billing for some payment plugins, and periodic emails (not completed notifications, expire notifications, automatic emails). Even if you don't plan to use recurring billing or send automatic emails from aMember, we still recommend to setup external cron job , because it execute some necessary system tasks.

If you don't want to setup cron job and don't want to see that message just disable it in amember CP -> Setup -> Advanced