How To Properly Setup Google Analytics for Ecommerce Sales?

Discussion in 'Payment Systems' started by wesm, May 2, 2012.

1. wesm

wesm New Member

Hi.
    I have read through numerous posts on this forum, none of which seem to provide a clear and concise answer to the issue of properly tracking ecommerce sales inside of Google Analytics.
    We are having a number of issues with getting accurate data reported in Google Analytics. It seems that the main problem is that the pixel isn't firing 100% of the time. One reason seems to be that when a visitor arrives on the Paypal screen and makes a purchase, the user is given the option to return to merchant.
    Since not all people do this, the pixel on thanks.php is only loaded for people who click "return to merchant".
    We are seeing about a 50% discrepancy of sales data inside aMember vs what is shown in Google Analytics. This is very poor and wont allow us to optimize the sales process become some much of the data about which products are being sold is not being reported accurately.
    Is there another way to post back sales data from Paypal into aMember, which in turn will get reported to Google Analytics?
    Maybe there is a way to auto-redirect visitors from the payment screen back to thanks.php once a purchase has been made?
    Also, is it possible to post our affiliate IDs into the conversion pixel so that we can see a breakdown of individual affiliates sales in GA?
    Hopefully someone will have some insight into this problem being that using aMember and GA together is in high demand. Again, I see lots of "possible" solutions deep within individual forum posts, but no clear answers on this topic. I'm hoping the people working for aMember can respond and shed some light on this issue.
    Thank you.