How to change where the user is redirected if they can't access a protected page

Discussion in 'Setting-up protection' started by awakefield, Feb 8, 2013.

1. awakefield

awakefield New Member

I found this page in the documentation http://www.amember.com/docs/Redirect_Settings

but I can't find where these redirect settings are. I would like to change it from the default of showing an error page if the user can't access the protected content but I can't find where to do it, even though according to this page, this option is available, I've gone through all the menus in setup and config and in the protected directories.
  2. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

I suspect you found that with a search, because the page is actually in the WordPress setup section. That page only refers to the WordPress integration.
  3. awakefield

awakefield New Member

In that case.. is there anyway to change it so it goes straight to the signup page?
  4. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

First of all, I mainly do WordPress integrations and do not have a lot of experience in using aMember as a stand alone application.

However, it is my understanding that when a visitor (not logged in) tries to access a file inside a protected folder they will be redirected to the login page by default. Note that there is a "signup" link at the top of the login form for those that need to signup.

If a logged in person tries to access a page from inside a folder they do not have a subscription to, they are redirected to the signup page so they can purchase the necessary subscription. After a person is logged in and they are redirected to the signup page, only products are shown, So effectively a signup page becomes a "renew/purchase new products" page after a person is logged in.
  5. awakefield

awakefield New Member

If someone tries to go to a protected page and isn't logged in, you are correct, it goes to the login page, however if the person is logged in and can't get to a protected page, it just sends them to a page that says they can't get to that page because they don't have permission and they need to order that subscription and gives them a little text link to click. It's ugly and awkward and gives them the full url of where they were trying to go. I would much rather that it defaults to the signup page so they can order the subscription, but I can't find where to do that or if it is possible.
  6. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

The wording, and action, is set in application > default > views > no-access.phtml

To do what I think you are trying to achieve replace the contents of this file with a redirect to your sign-up page or a custom page encouraging them to sign up to the subscription
    awakefield likes this.
  7. awakefield

awakefield New Member

You rock, thanks so much!