How to activate a free (trial) product while waiting for payment to complete?

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by orish, Jan 11, 2015.

1. orish

orish aMember Pro Customer

Hi, I have two free products that I'd like to offer to customers when signing up:

1. A generic free product for giving access to various protected areas. Product BASIC.
    2. A trial product that customers can access for free. Product TRIAL.

A customer can sign up for the TRIAL at any time and get BASIC included for free.

If a customer subsequently signs up for a paid product, the TRIAL is expired. This happens the moment the payment is processed. (The BASIC product remains active.)

However, many customers sign up directly for the paid product and may select offline payment or there's a problem with the automatic payment (e.g. PayPal). The problem now is that they get an immediate confirmation message telling them to sign in... but they can't access anything on the website because nothing has been activated yet!

While waiting for the payment to go through I'd like the BASIC and TRIAL products to be activated.

AND THEN when the payment goes through, the TRIAL product gets expired. (The BASIC product remains active, as before.)

I want to avoid having to ask a new customer to sign up for the TRIAL first before "upgrading" to the paid version. That's a two-step process. However, I want to simulate this automatically, as if this is what the customer is doing.

Any ideas?