How many members can aMember Pro handle efficiently?

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by listen2russian, Jan 11, 2009.

1. listen2russian

listen2russian New Member

I'm already an aMember customer, but not sure where else to post this.

Just wondering, how many members can aMember Pro handle efficiently before it starts to slow down? 10,000 - 50,000 - 100,000 ?

I should imagine that with a high number of members it would take either aMember or the web server some time to search through the sql database .. but that's pure speculation, it might not be true.

Has anyone had any experience with a large volume of members, and what did you do to make the system run more efficiently?

Thanks very much.

Jon.
  2. listen2russian

Would love to hear from anyone who has a high volume of members (eg. 10,000+)

are there any slowdowns or things you can do to optimize the database?

Thanks!
  3. miso

miso aMember Pro Customer

I've seen client sites with databases of 10,000-15,000 users and amember performed just fine, without a single glitch or any noticeable delays...
  4. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

I have a site that is nearing ~15,000 users.. (~12,000 of which are active) no problems.
  5. dellw

dellw New Member

That's good to hear. I almost thought I have to get membergate!
  6. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

I should preface my response with the fact that we are not running on a shared godaddy hosting plan. With any site you will scalability opportunities as your userbase grows, but aMember will be able to grow with you.

The are some caveats around things that make bulk requests (rebuilding database, long term reporting, etc.) which you may need to adjust indexing or export and perform externally.)
  7. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

As far as # of members, rebuilding databases can be an issue- in this case jlogica has a mod called Rebuild aMember that will help.

I think email becomes a real big issue once you get into bigger numbers. email is very resource intensive.

David
  8. listen2russian

hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for your responses - glad to hear everything is running smoothly around the 10,000 mark

cheers!
  9. chrome62

chrome62 Member

I have over 20,000 active members and the biggest problem is the Rebuild DB function.
    I also have two plugins installed which really seems to throw a wrench in the rebuild db process. Once I start the process, it could take hours to complete. There is no feedback to tell you what it's doing. I tried the 3rd party option, but it seems to take just as long.
    If you're going to run rebuild db, do it after midnight and let it run all night.

I am also on a dedicated server.
  10. jenolan

jenolan aMember Coder

If you have that many members then you really need my add-on that processes chunks rather than doing it all in one http request.

Larry