Hosting Problem (Yahoo Hosting)

Discussion in 'Installation' started by tomf2468, Jun 13, 2014.

1. tomf2468

tomf2468 New Member

I've already opened a service ticket, but between time zones and the weekend it will be a while! So, I thought I would see what the users had to say...

Second time aMember user, the first project with V3. First project went great. The newest project is my problem (I just purchased V4 yesterday).

My client is on a Yahoo hosting plan. Not my choice, she already had the hosting plan. Yahoo host is Apache/PHP5/MySQL, but it is not working with aMember.

The Yahoo hosting will NOT let me upload a .htaccess file, reporting that the file name/type is not allowed. I've tried renaming it without the ".", uploading that, and then adding the ".", but that too is "not allowed" by the Yahoo server.

I've spend HOURS on hold trying to get to Yahoo help desk. After hours, they disconnected me!

Client seems oddly hesitant to move hosts, do I have any options here? Typically I would move the site to MediaTemple hosting who I've always had good luck with (and have that v3 aMember site up and working on).

So, assuming no-one knows some Yahoo hosting magic, and assuming my client is so hesitant to move hosts because MediaTemple is significantly more expensive... does anyone know if 1and1 Linux hosting will work with aMember without issues? They are php5.5. I "had" a site with them (client has gone out of business) and they seemed to offer a good product for a low cost.

Or, lastly, can anyone suggest a good and lower priced hosting service, preferably in the USA, that works well with aMember?

Thanks,
    Tom
  2. tomf2468

tomf2468 New Member

I'll answer my own thread, in case someone else searches for this in the future. The aMember support folks got back to me right after the weekend and explained that there was no way to run aMember on current Yahoo hosting. Yahoo hosting is just too limited. I'm moving client to a different host (MediaTemple). Great support from aMember, incredibly (downright insultingly) long wait time for support from Yahoo...