Host Requirements, Modifying Code

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by Alex&er, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Alex&er

Alex&er Guest

I am impressed with aMember and I want to be sure I pick a host that will support it. I have a few questions related to that as well as using aMember.

- How many MySQL databases does aMember use?
    - Does it work with PHP installed as a server module and/or CGI? I know one host with PHP installed only as CGI.
    - Will I be able and allowed to change aMember code for my own use? For example, to integrate it with other software.
    - Does aMember "call home"? If so, when, and what happens if "home" is unreachable?
    - Are there any web hosts you recommend? You've installed aMember a lot of places.

Thank you very much,

Alex (different one :)
    Tucson, AZ, USA
  2. neo

neo Guest

Sounds like you are using Windows... The last time I looked at the php info for windows, they recommed using the CGI version. Mainly because the ISAPI modules was not fully "beat in" and stable for being considered for production sites.
  3. Alex&er

Alex&er Guest

I plan to go with a web host running Linux. I recently found out that the host I am considering has PHP as CGI, but is switching next month. If aMember has no problems with PHP as CGI then I'll be fine.
  4. neo

neo Guest

This is not the official answer, but I don't remember reading anything here, that stated it had any issues with php as a CGI module.
  5. alex-adm

alex-adm Guest

Alex&er,
    aMember works fine with PHP compiled as CGI. Some advanced protection methods won't be available, but it is not a problem, beause nobody in industry has it at all ;)