Help!-Rebuild DB broke members' access to site

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by horvatht, May 28, 2012.

1. horvatht

horvatht New Member

Hi all,
    has anyone else experienced this? Am using v.3.1.4 (old, I know, but it still worked), and decided to do a rebuild of the db. First made a backup of the db through the control panel, which appeared to work fine, then did the rebuild db. Got the message: restore done, but now members cannot log in to their products. I can see the control panel just fine, members can reach the member.php page on login, but just can't go further to their subscriptions. Ok, I thought, no problem, just restore the backup I just made. Tried the restore--got error message:

Uploaded file is not valid aMember Pro backup

Ah, need to extract file from .gz zip. Ok, extracted file, tried again. Same error. Tried reading the unzipped file in Notepad--only saw gibberish.

Now have a site where members cannot access their files. Tried submitting a trouble ticket--apparently trouble ticket system not working, as a "send message" click results in a "page failed to load" error. Now at panic stage. Need some help as to direction to take, either that or I will have to start drinking in a serious way. Anyone have suggesions (thank you, Foster's is an excellent suggestion, but only after this problem is solved.)
  2. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Please contact me directly at alexander@cgi-central.net if this is not fixed yet.
    Please include ftp info, amember CP info, attach database backup and also provide an exactly of issue(exact url where you try to login and any user's login/password to test this issue)
  3. horvatht

horvatht New Member

Just a followup to this issue in case anyone else finds themselves in this spot. The root problem was not that I did a Rebuild DB in v.3 control panel, but that earlier in the day I was installing and testing v.4 in anticpation of moving to the newer platform. When I was testing the install, I created a sample product in v.4 and protected one of my "live" folders with the new system. What that did was to overwrite the .htaccess file in the existing members directory and redirected the exsiting members to the v.4 pages, which were not set up, and thus threw off the error message. (Not sure how I accomplished that feat, but it happened.)

I did not realize that had occurred and when I did the Rebuild in the v.3, all I could see was that the members' access was broken, and I assumed that it was because of the rebuild.

Once that was sorted out, I removed protection from the affected folder and re-protected it through the v.3 control panel, and everything was back to normal.

So, moral of the story: if you can log into the admin cp and you can see members and their payments, products, etc., then most likely the problem is with the protection of the private folders. Look to the .htaccess file to see what is happening. If that doesn't work, ask Alex. And now for that Fosters...
  4. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the update!