Gradual delivery

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by hilary, Jan 17, 2007.

1. hilary

hilary aMember Pro Customer

Hi,

Here's something I don't think you can do with Amember... so it's probably a feature request, though I'd certainly be glad to hear I've missed something.

In month 1 of my informational membership site, people can sign up and receive month 1's content. Then they'll get month 2's content in month 2. But the people who sign up in month 2 get the content from months 1 and 2 at once, although they've only paid half as much.

So... why should anyone sign up for membership now, when they can always sign up later and get more content for the same price?

This is a bit of a problem. One way round it is to provide the content with an email autoresponder - either in the email itself, or by providing a link to a page that you can't find from within the members' area. But it'd be much better to have the membership site itself make more information available to people progressively, the longer they stay subscribed. You log in at the beginning of month 2 of your subscription, and bingo! there are whole new pages for you. Meanwhile the person who just signed up is just seeing month 1's stuff.

So could someone please create a way for this to happen in Amember? :)

I imagine a series of products, each with their own set of protected pages. After someone's been a member of 'membership product' for a month, they're automatically also subscribed to 'membership product month 2' and gain that extra tier of access. And so on. You could link to all the months within the membership site area, and if someone clicked on content they couldn't yet access, you could display a friendly message to explain - ideally a personalised one with the date it'd become available for them.

(I just listened to a tediously long audio from an internet marketer bragging about having the only membership software that deals with this delivery issue, and how much money he makes with it. I'm really looking forward to having a solution in Amember. ;) )
  2. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

You are right, there unfortunately are no ways to do that in aMember, but we will definitely implement this in future.
  3. hilary

hilary aMember Pro Customer

I'll look out for it!
  4. calvinmicklefinger

calvinmicklefinger New Member

I need it also.

I am looking for a replacement for my existing script which has this. It is a great feature, but I have not been able to contact my vendor recently and I need support.

Your script has been highly recommended and if I can get this feature I will jump in a heartbeat.

PS - don't know who hilary listened too, but this one was a custom add-in by the developer of the script I am now using. Took them awhile to understand limiting access through time.
  5. chrislockwood

chrislockwood New Member

Hmm... most sites I've seen provide X amount of content for January, February, etc., then when the current month's content is added to the site, the previous month's is removed.

This method works fine with amember.

That way people who just joined don't get several months worth of content.
  6. tmcd

tmcd New Member

This is a great option, I would like it too.

Let me explain five flavors and options:

1. Person (A) joins on month one. Person (B) joins on month two. Person (A) on the second month gets access to month 1 and month 2's content. Person (B) only gets access to month 2's content. (This is what has been explained above.)

2. Person (A) joins on month one. Person (B) joins on month two at normal monthly cost + $x.xx extra to get access to prior content too. On month three, both persons (A) (B) get charged the same monthly fee. Both have access to all content from the beginning.

Though this still lets people get a "discount" (depending on the $x.xx charge), it still is an upsell, and some people are going to want access to past content.

A way that this could not be a discount, is to charge a little more for the prior months. Example: Monthly charge $10.00. Site has been up for 5 months prior. Person (B) comes to join on month 6 and wants content from the 5 previous months. $10.00 for month 6 + $55.00 ($10.00 for prior months and $5.00 "luxury fee" :) --> Total fee = $65.00, subsequent months are only $10.00.

Each month you change the second purchase option, you update it to charge another $10.00 for the month that has passed, etc.

3. You could charge a lifetime access. One fee no matter when they get in, they get access to all content.

4. Purchase now and get the prior months' content as a bonus. (This is an upsell to get more members.) This is probably going to be used when memberships are sort of dropping and you want more people. Or, it can be an initial incentive. (Join now and get next month's content free.) Second charge happens on month 3.

5. Trials:

(5a.) Pay $1.00 this month and subsequent months are $10.00 each.
    (5b.) Free trial this month and subsequent months are $10.00 each.
    (5c.) Any of the options (5a) or (5b), then once the first $10.00 payment is received, the whole set of previous content is open., or only a certain portion is made accessible (as a bonus for sticking with it), such as the previous month.

Troy
  7. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Troy,
    it is nice idea, but it definitely must be a custom solution. An universal solution allowing to do what you described will be too hard to configure.
  8. calvinmicklefinger

Any recommendations on a coder who can do such a custom scenario at a reasonable price? I'd prefer someone who is failiar with aMember, rather than taking a chance at Rentacoder.
  9. calvinmicklefinger

Another scenario ...

(1) You have an inventory of products and a monthly membership fee.
    (2) Each membership period the member is allowed to add another item to the inventory of items they can download. Their choice from the inventory list.
    (3) Result ... they must stay through an extended period to get access to all of the products.