Good Web Host in 2008? iPowerWeb is killing my aMember site.

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by robertski, Feb 12, 2008.

1. robertski

robertski New Member

Can anyone suggest any hosting companies in 2008. The Sticky in Pre-Sales Questions is several years old. There are threads in Testimonials that are many years old and endorse iPowerWeb which I have used successfully for several years, but now they are migrating to new virtual platforms and a new version of vDeck Control Panel. I have had nothing but errors and tech support is overwhelmed and embarrasingly slow at best and incompetent at worst.

I now see that cPanel is recommended.

Thank you for any recommendations.
  2. getresults

getresults Member

I recommend and use Hostgator.com

I have a bunch of normal hosting packages with them and 3 dedicated servers.

A brief summary on why I recommend them is here:

http://www.website-systems-expert.com/blog/recommendations/

IPowerWeb sucks. I had a client who had a site running on IPowerWeb and as soon as he started getting a reasonable amount of traffic the mysql databases would start corrupting randomly.

Their support was non existent and they didn't show any interest in helping resolve problems.

Additionally their control panel is horrendous. Cpanel is a much better option.

I'd definitely stay away from IPowerWeb.
  3. hope_rwa

hope_rwa New Member

4. tomfra

tomfra Member

My suggestion - if at all possible, get a VPS account, not shared hosting or reseller account. With VPS (or a full dedicated server for that matter), you can install (almost) anything you want and how you want. You do not have to care whether there is ioncube installed, if PHP is running in safe mode etc.

I think most people are scared of switching from shared hosting to VPS exactly because of this reason. But if you use a decent control panel (cPanel for example, but it's a very bad idea for low specs VPS), you will really not have to care of much more things than with shared hosting. And if you get a managed VPS, all of the tech stuff should be taken care of anyway.

Just an idea of course. But personally, I wouldn't go with shared hosting these days as I see no reason for it. You can get a decent VPS for $10 and a managed one for around $20 a month.

Tomas
  5. tchamberlain

tchamberlain New Member

Seriously, where?

6. eleven

eleven aMember Pro Customer

Robert, drop me a PM
  7. tomfra

tomfra Member

Well, the best place, in my opinion, to search for some pretty good web hosting deals, VPS including, is webhostingtalk.com:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

If you do not insist on cPanel, I am sure you will find quite a few below $10 offers in there, some from reputable companies. For a relatively low-spec VPS I suggest you try an OpenVZ based one - it's a great stuff in combination with HyperVM and LXAdmin or "Host in a box" so I would search for those.

Tomas

8. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

I use and recommend MDD Hosting.

They have a variety of options depending on your needs and scale (managed, vps, dedicated, etc)

One nice feature is that they will migrate all of your code, data, configurations and databases from your existing host and set everything up for you at no charge. Talk about customer service!

Questions to support are answered near real time regardless of the time of day (I'm not sure they ever sleep).

http://www.mddhosting.com
  9. jmaduk

jmaduk Member