Free Trial

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by Ron, May 28, 2005.

1. Ron

Ron Guest

Hello-

I am offering a free 1 day trial to my site. When does Amember bill the person that signs up? It is exactly 24 hours later or is it at midnight the next day?

Also is there a way to have it bill the person 24 hours after they sign up?

I have someone signed up for a 1 day free trial and it did not bill them 24 hours later... I dont know if its a mistake or error I have on my end or if its correct and they will be billed at midnight.

Any help would be great!

Thanks
    Ron
  2. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Ron,
    aMember operates ONLY with dates, not with time.

It handles 1-day (and other) trials in the following way: user gets rest of current day + 24 hours. This way user may get 24-48 hours depending on time of day. Unfortunately, it is impossible to change.
  3. Ron

Ron Guest

Thanks... Now it makes a little more since. Was just wondering why they were not billed yet...

Just to make sure Im 100% though and incase anyone else ever wanted to know about this too...

If they sign up today May 29th 2005 at 4pm EST they would get the rest of today free and then they would get all of May 30th 2005 free as well?

Then your payment gateway (paypal for me) would bill them at midnight or when ever the server time reaches May 31st 2005?

Thanks for your help!
    Ron
  4. alex

Ron,
    yes, user will be billed at 00:00 May 31 in your example.

However, PayPal is an exception! It handles these things internally, and it should be customer just in time! If user is not billed after 24 hours, have a look to subscription settings one more time (right in PayPal account).
  5. Ron

Ron Guest

Im going to go out on a limb and say that PayPal must handle it the same way as well... Here is what I got!

Subscription Date:
    May 27, 2005
    Time:
    10:59:34 EDT
    Active

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next Payment Date:
    May 29, 2005
    Amount:
    $3.95 USD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subscription Terms:
    Free for the first dayThen $3.95 USD for each month
    Item Name:
    1 Month Subscription To (site name)

It looks to me like this customer will be billed on May 29th after signing up for a 1 month subscription with a 1 day free trial on May 27th. So its more like a 24 to 48 hour trial like you stated before.

I dont see anywhere in PayPal where I can adjust my subscription settings unless Im just missing it completely! :confused:
  6. Grae

Grae New Member

Another option I have used that might help: 0 day subscription. This will give access for the remainder of the day.
  7. alex

Thank you for idea!