FlowPlayer Version and Playback Issues

Discussion in 'Integration' started by gswaim, Dec 21, 2012.

1. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

I was testing video playback of my WordPress/aMember integration today on my new Nexus 7 tablet. It did not play the video and I got this message:

All the specs:
    • WordPress 3.5
    • aMember 4.2.14
    • FlowPlayer 3.2.7 (based on info in the change log)
    After a fair amount of digging around and reading, I think this is a FlowPlayer version issue. On the FlowPlayer website the current download is version 5.2.1 The 5.x versions will fall back to HTML 5 if the device does not have support for flash (like all the newest Android and Apple operating systems).
    So I can think of about three solutions, but am open to other suggestions from aMember support or other users.
    1. Get the included FlowPlayer version current (5.2.1) instead of an older version that does not seem to have HTML 5 fall back capabilities. -or-
    2. Support (or somebody) please provide instructions on how I can download the free 5.2.1 version and install it on my aMember site. -or-
    3. Support (or somebody) please provide instructions on how I can download the commercial ($95) 5.2.1 version and install it on my aMember site.
  2. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

UPDATE

I posted a ticket in aMember BugTracker about this and Alex responded with the following information:

The Good News
    Alex is aware of the playback problem with the current version of FlowPlayer and aMember has already purchased the license to FlowPlayer 5.2 version. This version should play back videos on virtually any device with or without Flash.

The Bad News
    The 5.2 version is a totally different code base and layout from the 3.x version. It will take a lot of work and testing to make sure when aMember upgrades to 5.2 it doesn't break all the sites that are currently using Version 3.x So the plan is to get in a lot of testing and get it in the next major release of aMember, 4.13

So hang in there, a fix is in the pipe line!