Few Questions | Love aMember!

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by nphaskins, Dec 7, 2011.

1. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

Then I can help :)

You can hide/show menu items based on a person's active memberships. You can also hide/show menu items to guests. You need to have the aMember plugin installed in WordPress and create your menus using the WordPress Custom Menu utility.

Here is a video I put together.

2. nphaskins

nphaskins New Member

Thanks for the video, but that's not what I'm asking. I'm not sure how more clear I get with my query.

The pages are public. I need them hidden from the menu for members. Again, the pages, are not going to be protected. They can be viewed publicly. I need those pages to not appear in the menu of a logged in user, but appear for everyone else who's not logged in.

Here is the menu I'm talking about:
    http://screencast.com/t/DkwYp8dq

I need the public links to not be shown to members on the navigation.
  3. gswaim

I don't know of a way to hide a menu item in the top nav bar from a person that is logged in.

However, you could do this with sidebar navigation using the aMember menu widget. You build the two menus using the WordPress custom menu feature and then use two aMember menu widgets to display the appropriate menu to the logged in or logged out users.

amember_menu_widget.png
  4. nphaskins

nphaskins New Member

Bummer! I did see the widget and honestly, the main sites navigation is on top. So, the position theoretically shouldn't change for public/members. It messes with my design to have navigation on the right in the side bar where the topics and search widgets are placed.

Hmmmm...
  5. nphaskins

nphaskins New Member

I guess I could leave those links in place, and at least add a class to members view nav items and style those links a bit differently. that's about the only thing I can think to do. At any rate, I appreciate your thoughts on this.
  6. nphaskins

nphaskins New Member

There's gotta be a way to do this. Tutsplus is doing JUST this, and they are using aMember. When I log in, the Tour link goes away and a new link replaces it.
  7. gswaim

Yep, the problem is dropping the menu items when a person logs in. The code is not designed to hide a page to someone after they log in. It is designed to show a page(s) based on a user's subscription. If you could live with leaving pages 1,2,3 in place and showing pages 4.5.6.7 to the logged in users, you could do it in the top nav bar.
  8. gswaim

I would ask them how they did it. Maybe Alex has an idea on this. Maybe I am overlooking something.
    nphaskins likes this.
  9. nphaskins

nphaskins New Member

That's where everything is current at, and is where I'd like it to be; in the top nav bar. I realize my request is a bit un-orthodox, but is the way that works best for what I need. Is there anybody, or any 3rd party vendors you can recommend to make this change? Could I pull this off with a plugin? I'm assuming this would be difficult on upgrading in the future?

Thanks a lot for your time, I really do appreciate it!
    Nick

*Edit* - Good idea about asking. i asked once about something random and envato was quick to respond.
  10. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

So to summarize you need a option to display pages in menu only for not-logged in users? If so I will add this functionality in plugin.
  11. gswaim

Alex,

In this case he wants more advanced menu manipulation without necessarily protecting the page/post/category. For maximum flexibility should we pull menu manipulation out of the protection box and have it as a stand alone feature?
  12. nphaskins

nphaskins New Member

You guys are awesome. Makes me feel really good on purchasing this software. Grant nailed it; menu manipulation as stand alone feature. I want my members to enjoy a different experience than non-members, in regards to what they see in the menu. For my situation, the entire network is locked down until you enroll (online teaching university).
  13. nphaskins

nphaskins New Member

Here's one for you:
    I have BB Press Wordpress plugin installed for forums. It's on the main navigation. How do I hide that for non members? Because BB Press is a plugin, it "acts" like a page, but isn't a page persay, just created by the plugin. Any thoughts?

Nick
  14. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Ive done it in using a manual coding in the naviagation area.
    Check for logged in- display logout. If logged out- display log in.
    How to do this depends on your theme.

David
  15. nphaskins

nphaskins New Member

The theme I have supports custom menu's in WP, as it was built for public consumption so it's pretty compatible. I'm pretty savvy when it comes to this stuff. Any hints on how to go about doing this?
  16. nphaskins

nphaskins New Member

You know on second thought, I may just put the premium on a subdomain and protect the entire site. That would actually fix a lot of my issues. Yup.
  17. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member