Facebook Connect Plugin for aMember now available

Discussion in '3rd Party Service Providers' started by robw, Jun 10, 2010.

1. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Hi all,

I've just launched an easy to use Facebook Connect Plugin for aMember that will help you open your doors to Facebook's 400 MILLION Users... No Coding Skills Needed!

Now that aMember v4 is firmly established, this v3 plugin is now life expired, so I'm turning the source into the public domain and it's offered free to anyone who still has a use for it... but please note that there is ABSOLUTELY no support for this old plugin any more.

Get it here: http://www.cogmentis.com/296/facebook-connect-plugin-amember-v3-now-free-life-expired/

Cheers
    Rob

Ps - To add a facebook login button to your non-aMember pages, see this post.
    Pps - Button not showing after upgrade to v3.2.3? See this post

2. kengary

kengary aMember Pro Customer

This is a great idea! I had just put it on my list for something for me to do. Too late! ;-D
  3. deafdavid

deafdavid Member

Link to amember facebook logon is not working.
  4. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Ooops, thanks - I fat fingered the link in my signature. Now fixed.

5. roadogz

roadogz Member

Brilliant stuff!!

Wanted to thank Rob for a job well done on the facebook plugin. I'm not a great programmer, and I had a couple basic issues that I needed help with. Rob's response time was awesome. And he got me up and going in no time.

Well worth the money spent.
  6. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Wow! What a nice addition to aMember. Thank you Rob for your hard job! I will post a news item about your plugin.
  7. gotsit

gotsit New Member

great idea

I brought this software basically so i could try this plug in :) looks cool
  8. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Thanks Roadogz - I appreciate you posting your feedback here!
    And wow - thanks Alex for posting that news update!

Cheers
    Rob
  9. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

@Rob: A more seamless integration into the Signup page itself (instead of the 2 step) would be a nice addition.

That being said, seems the same integration technique could be applied to OpenID & Twitter as well.
  10. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

@skippybosco - you mean something like automatically creating an amember account if they don't have?
  11. skippybosco

@Rob: In an ideal scenario, the user would not be aware they were creating an aMember account and would only use their Facebook Connect to login (or autologin if Facebook session data already exists)

Once they click and authorize on the signup page, as much information as is available via the FaceBook schema (Name, Physical Address, Phone, email). would be auto populated on the signup form allowing the user to make changes before submitting.

For the backend aMember account either construct a username (First+Last) or allow them to provide a "nickname" on the signup form.

Not entirely sure how best to handle password for 3rd party apps if an admin allows users to directly log into the apps instead of logging into aMember/Facebook connect first.

Two end goals:

1) fill out as little as possible on the signup form
    2) not have to have a user id or password for the site, relying only on Facebook connect to login.
  12. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

@skippybosco - I've aimed to strike a balance between flexibility and "plug and playness". The plugin already populates the maximum information available/allowable by Facebook (First, Last, and email). If there was more available, I would have added it ;)

An aMember account is always going to be needed (in the background), as this guarantees the plugin will work nicely with any other plugin and amember itself. It also means that existing users can 'add' Facebook connect to their accounts and that if a person leaves Facebook they don't drop off your membership site!!!

In the next release am looking at adding a connect button to the signup page too, as well as some kind of "autocreate" account option. The reason it isn't in this one, is that an autocreate method means:

a) You can't capture more info at signup (address, phone etc)
    b) You can't offer a selection of 'signup only' products
    c) An account on it's own is probably not much use - so you would probably need some kind of (free) Facebook user product in your system to give them access to.

So the way it is done now gives the most flexibility - in reality, the autocreate method (ie the illusion of only Facebook login) is only going to be useful in certain setups.

Cheers
    Rob
  13. skippybosco

@rob:

Thanks for the detailed response.

Just brushed up on the API.. in the past they exposed "location" data, but it appears that has been deprecated :-/

Agreed.

The trick here is balancing the user not having to keep track of a userid/password for your site in lieu of using the FaceBook connect.

Certainly a Facebook disconnect option as well as perhaps an account retrieval mechanism (lost password style)

Not sure why you would not be able to have the user fill in additional information (address, phone ,etc) that is posted to the auto created account post creation process during the signup and / or payment submit process hook.

Great! I would suggest the "autocreate" process happens by virtue of clicking the Facebook Connect button and not a multi-step process.

In case it got lost in all of my questions and commentary, seriously great job on the plugin and your continued support of it!
  14. skippybosco

Following up on this thread as I've had the opportunity of assisting in the integration of this plugin for a client and it works as described.

I recommend it if you are looking for this type of integration for your site and thanks again to Rob for such a great contribution to the community.
  15. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Thanks Skippybosco - really appreciate you posting your followup feedback!
    Cheers
    Rob
  16. sarah23

sarah23 New Member

This look great thanks.
  17. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Version 1.3 available

I've just released version 1.3 of the Facebook Connect Plugin for aMember. In this version you have options to:

• Automatically create an aMember account for a new Facebook user (no filling in signup form)
    • Optionally grant them a free subscription to one of your products
    • Force Logout from Facebook when logging out from aMember
    • Optionally offer the 'Enhanced Permissions' (email and publish story) at first connect
    • Put a connect button on your signup page

Cheers
    Rob
  18. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Hi Skippybosco - an OpenID plugin is coming. I've already written it and am testing it on a couple of our sites (e.g. see our Mind Factor login page).

Just need to get around to writing a sales page for that plugin now. :rolleyes:
    If anyone really can't wait, PM me and I'll sort something out for you.

Cheers
    Rob
  19. arthy

arthy aMember Pro Customer

hi,

Am no coder and i dont understand much of you guys talking... however as a user i like to know the following:

i have a package and a user wants to signup to that package he clicks on it he gets taken to another page (either created by me or your plugin ) this page has 2 big images saying "signup using Facebook account" "signup manually".
    if they click facebook account and signup, all the allowed information will be fetched to amember , and then he will be redirected to paypal or whatever, he will then make a payment.

now amember will send him a username & password. the username must be his email address (if this is allowed by amember) and password is generated for him ..

in the email it is also mentioned that if he wants to change the password he can go to blablalb and have it changed himself.

easy and simple... this is what i like ... is that possible ?
    i dont like "autocreate" username because that will be hard to remember the username... in that case if email is not allowed there should be a function where it pulls his first name and add a 3 digit random number. and this will become his username.

hope to hear from you guys

Thank you
  20. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Hello Arthy

Yes, this is basically how it works by default (without autocreate account on).

You can put a Facebook connect button on the signup page - they can either then fill in the form or click the button. If they click the button, it will log them in to Facebook, and then drop them back to the signup form with allowed information pre-completed so they can then fill in any gaps and then make a payment etc.

Yes, when used without autocreate account, it behaves as a standard amember signup except that they can later log back in using Facebook.

Bottom line - you can use autocreate account if you want it, or not if you don't. Choice is yours!

Cheers
    Rob