Expiration Date in Custom Widget

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by searchmaster, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. searchmaster

searchmaster New Member

I am LOVING the new widget feature that was recently added, and refined, to allow us to place a widget anywhere on the account central/dashboard based on a customer's product subscription, or lack thereof. However, I am wondering IF it could be adjusted or customized to meet a critical need. The one thing I have always found a problem is the that there is no easy way to prominently display the actual expiration date of certain products.

So my question is: Can I somehow use this new Widget feature to command aMember to display the expiration date to a specific product AND/OR a product's renewal group? It appears that everything is in place to do this EXCEPT an easy way to build the display I need for the expiration date, maybe something like the Advanced Search on the Browse Users screen? Basically I would just like to use the new widget system, exactly as it is right now, but be able to include the customer's expiration (product/renewal group) to specific product (or products) in the HTML text.

My website revolves around a central model that you purchase our software one-time at $XXX and then each year, you renew WHILE current at $59 or you renew AFTER EXPIRED for a higher price of $99. This has always proved difficult to setup, especially with automatic renewals, however the toughest is properly displayed expiration dates. If I could get a customer's correct expiration date to, ideally, a product, or more importantly in my case, a product's renewal group (which is critical to me personally) I could solve a LOT of problems! Thanks so much in advance!
  2. jenolan

jenolan aMember Coder

You really need two products
    • #1 New subscribers, with the standard terms, set the restriction to not allow buying it twice
    • #2 expired re-subscribe, with the other terms, set the restrictions to only allow if they have an expired #1
    That should work, and you also should be able to display whichever is current (and have them look the same if you like)
    searchmaster and caesar like this.
  3. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

First of all I like Larry advice - it allow you to handle your renew discount quite seamless. I suggest to consider it.

I am afraid widgets does not allow to show expire date by default but we can help you do small customization to achieve what your need. Do you mind to contact us in helpdesk?
    https://www.amember.com/support

Best Regards.
  4. searchmaster

searchmaster New Member

Thanks so much for your thoughts. My setup is actually even more complicated. I've been working with aMember since version 3.X was released, and I have 4 sites running it as its core system, so I am pretty familiar with everything. In fact Larry, when I was using version 3/4 I used nearly ALL of your plug-ins from your website - so a HUGE thank you for all that you have done, you've definitely made my life easier in that regard.

When I first built the website for this specific company, the owner wanted to start with fresh data, meaning he did NOT want to import his existing customers, instead opting them to sign-up as they needed to renew. This was against my wishes and recommendations, and it has caused headaches and problems-o-plenty down the road. At any rate, as I mentioned, the business model works in a way so that any customer purchases a one-time price of $249. They can renew their support each year, before they expire, for $59. If they have expired, and want to renew, their price is $99 for that year they are expired, and then back to the $59 per year rate if they renew before their NEXT expiration. Then things get more complicated because of automatic renewals (which include discounts for choosing auto renewals over manual renewals) AND discounts for renewing for multiple years at a time. It is even more complicated because customers may desire to purchase more than one license per person, so I can't totally lock them out of buying a second full-price license, nor can I tell aMember that each copy of the "core" license must be renewed separately. The result is several products in the system (we also sell several online one-off webinars, but they are just fine and a separate matter), along with multiple billing plans for each of those products. It's complicated, confusing, and makes me crazy - although as of lately it has gotten better since aMember has added the ability to prevent emails from being sent to customers with automatically renewing subscriptions. Doesn't sound like much, but for me it is HUGE, because my customers got confused and there was no easy way to but in big bold letters what their expiration date to our main product is, so they would renew multiple times, even if they had auto renewing choices, etc. If you have any suggestions I would LOVE to hear them, the site is www.searchmaster.tv.

At any rate, the ONLY thing I am trying to accomplish at the moment is to use the new custom widgets feature to print a customer's expiration date to a specific product, or more importantly for MY personal setup, a certain renewal group. It looks like Caeser already confirmed it isn't possible without custom programming, so I'll be contacting him in the helpdesk to get this done. I'm hoping this SHOULD be a normal feature, as I can't imagine I am the only one who needs the customer to have EASY visual access to their subscription terms, but we shall see. Thanks again, Larry, for EVERYTHING you do and have done. Your work is impeccable.
    jenolan likes this.
  5. searchmaster

searchmaster New Member

Caeser - Yes, thank you, I'll do that immediately. Thanks for the information!
  6. caesar

searchmaster likes this.
  7. searchmaster

searchmaster New Member

Caesar - thanks so very much for your help with this. The solution you came up with fit perfectly, and now that it has been extended to the registration pages as well, I'm already seeing less problems with duplicate and erroneous renewals from my customers.

This is exactly why I always keep coming back to you guys - you're the best in the member management business!
    caesar likes this.
  8. caesar

You are welcome!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.