Error Installing Amember 3.1 with MySQL 5.5

Discussion in 'Installation' started by anortham, Mar 13, 2016.

1. anortham

anortham New Member

I have gotten all the way to step 4 in the installation of Amember 3.1 when I get an error message. See attached screenshot. I think the problem is that some of the SQL Syntax is different in MYSQL 5.5 and I need to make some changes in Amember to correct the problem. Unfortunately, I cannot figure it out. Any ideas? amember_error.png
  2. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

That's because you are trying to install a very old version of aMember onto a server using a 'modern' version of MYsql database.

Surprised it's not throwing a wobbly using a recent version of PHP as well.

For a new install you should be using aMember Version4.xx now.
  3. microvb

microvb Member

aMember 3 does still function well, but you do need to adjust the .sql file for installation. I will try and dig up my adjusted version.
  4. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

Actually you need to alter amember.sql file and replace all entry of timestamp(14) with timestamp

I do not recommend to use version 3 especially for brand new projects. This version is deprecated and do not maintained anymore.
  5. microvb

microvb Member

I agree with caesar. Version 3.x is rather old and you are opening yourself up to a security nightmare given the branch has not been updated in sometime. While you can install it, and it will still work, you may find yourself working quite a lot to bring the code up to date.

Another benefit, is aMember 4 does not depend on the IonCube / Zend encoding libraries anymore, as they have decided to focus more time on writing a quality product than on protecting it from thieves, given that one could spend an infinite amount of time focusing on protection schemes, which takes away from time that could otherwise be spent writing a quality product. Not requiring IonCube/Zend has the additional benefit for purchasers of a reduction in core overhead and one less thing necessary to troubleshoot.

aMember 4 (on my last scan), has 1 encoded file using their own method, leaving the remaining code completely open.

Hope this helps.
    caesar likes this.
  6. miso

miso aMember Pro Customer

Version 3?

Oh boy, you're just asking for it installing that on any semi-modern server... as once that PHP version gets upgraded past, what was it, 5.2, 5.3, you're screwed.

Install the new version 5 and you'll be set for the next decade or so just fine.