Email friend feature with affiliate link?

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by BlastInvest.com, Dec 5, 2005.

1. BlastInvest.com

BlastInvest.com New Member

Alex,

Currently Amember Pro affiliate member page only offers links and banners. They are nice.

However, I would like some of our members to earn commission with email only. Many of them do not have web site. Can you offer an affiliate email feature to include affiliate link in the email body so that member can refer friends easily through email?

Right now I have to write long FAQ on how to use email for affiliate program. Lots of my members are not so techie though.

Thanks
  2. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Why cannot they take an URL from your text links or banners and instert them into their e-mails?
  3. BlastInvest.com

They can if they are familiar with that. But an easy email feature in amember pro would be more viral though.

Long URL copy and paste is not convenient as well.

4. alex

Are you going to allow them to email other peoples? What if they start to spam? You will lose your hosting very quick.
  5. GoldRoo

GoldRoo New Member

Any idea how you can stop people emailing others? :)
    No need to answer, I think I know the answer.

I guess the only thing you can do is to post a notice on your website that if people think they are spammed by one of your affiliates, to forward the full message to you, that you are sorry it happened and delete your affiliate (if you can figure out who was the naughty person.

Surely this must be a problem even for the big affiliate systems. You must make it a condition when people join your affiliate system, not to spam or else...
  6. BlastInvest.com

Good point. Make this as rule for affiliate program and forbid abuse.

But email feature definately is viral and handy. Cut and paste long URL is just too complicated and error-prone.

Even without email feature, affiliate spammers can cause harm too with
    method such as splog or spambot, or spoof email with faking email address or IP.

PhpBB2 has "invite friends" email feature in the referral reward mod. Very handy to use.

This is tail of phpBB2 invitation email to fight spam (automatically inserted in the email tool):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The above email was sent to you from blast_investor via his/her account at Value Investing Forum.
    If this message is spam, contains abusive or other comments you find offensive please contact
    the webmaster of the board at the following address:

XYZ@value-investing-forum.com

Include this full email (particularly the headers). Please note that the reply address to this email has been set to that of blast_investor.

------------------------------------------

I would like to have amember pro to have that feature too.

7. BlastInvest.com

A safe alternative to help affiliate is to include a button in affiliate link/banner page:

"email".

Instead of actually email, it shows the following:

Please cut and paste below URL into your email body and send it to your friend:
    http://www.xyz.com/...................................................

That way, affiliate can easily understand that they can email to earn money.

Not many people know that, I bet.

8. GoldRoo

GoldRoo New Member

Postscript: every link generated by aMember affiliate program includes a unique number that identifies your member.
    So if people forward you the email you know exactly whosdunnit!
  9. alex

You can insert the following code into templates/aff_links.php
    :

PHP:
    Link for emails:
    {
    $config.root_url}/amember/go.php?r={$smarty.session._amember_user.member_id}
    try that.