eFront eLearning (LMS) integration plugin v2 (Moodle alternative)

Discussion in 'Integration' started by skippybosco, Dec 19, 2010.

1. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

Try clearing your browser cache/cookies, restarting your browser and trying again.

Where exactly are you seeing the redirect error? (user or admin? / what steps to reproduce?)
  2. ssears

ssears New Member

It's on the User login. I have the signup set for Free right now.

I simply created a test account, when it takes me to Efront after clearing the cookies it is at the efront login screen. If I try to login now in Firefox it gives me a session error.

It's working perfectly on IE. I can resend you the URL if you want to see it.
  3. jsello

jsello New Member

How do I change the forgot password link in eFront to point to the amember password retrieval one. As well how to change the signup link in eFront to point to the amember signup page?
    Thanks
  4. skippybosco

@ssears: back in the office and checking your site / server today to try and identify why you are seeing the firefox weirdness. It does not appear to be aMember or eFront specific.

@jsello: In theory your users should never see the eFront home or login page since they should log in via aMember and be redirected to eFront

That being said, couple of options:

1) You can disable both of those links via the eFront admin.
    2) You can update the eFront template for whatever theme you are using to point to whatever landing page or link you prefer (efront\www\themes...)
  5. epop

epop New Member

I'm having the same problem as above. I'm running amember 3.2.3pro, with eFront version 3.6.9 build 10653, and using version 2.1 of the efront plugin (updated 12/10/10). None of the courses or groups in eFront are showing up in the efront plugin Edit Product/Subscription interface on aMember.

I use http://www.xxx.com/efront/ for the product url in the Product/Subscription setup, and http://xxx.com/efront/www/api2.php for the Full path to eFront API2. The eFront Administrative Login and Password do not contain any special characters such as &. When I attempt to signup for one of my courses, no account is created in aMember and therefore I cannot access the efront course.

Below is the error log for aMember:
    eFront Plugin (151) : Communicated with server (http://xxx.com/efront/www/api2.php) but received empty or invalid response.
    Action: http://xxx.com/efront/www/api2.php?action=catalog&token=ebdaEAYq44WSCqFN7WfSjI2tR3Tecf
    Response:

I am using your updated api2.php API (updated 2/10/11) and the native language has always been set to English, so I am not sure what the problem might be. Please help!
  6. skippybosco

@epop : If you browse directly to http://xxx.com/efront/www/api2.php do you get a message of any kind (such as XML not enabled)

If it is not enabled, logged on to eFront as admin go to -> System Settings -> External Tools -> External Tools -> Enable XML API

If you are still having problems, send me an email to [my user name here]@hotmail.com and I'll get you sorted out.
  7. ayurvedamentor

ayurvedamentor New Member

Update Required Efront

Dear Skippybosco,

Thanks for providing the good plugin for Efront. I am using Efront 3.6.9 and build 10697 and your latest plugin.

Even after using the instructions and api2.php, I am unable to see Courses and Products in Amember pages. Amember product page shows only Efront Usergroups.

Is there some way to integrate Efront completely with Amember? Or Is it possible now?

I am very curious as Efront is coming with an update that gives the ability to show lessons after certain days of joining. It is like Membership Site.

My content works best with Efront. That is why I request you to work and update this issue.

There will be a bonus for you as well. I visited MDDHOSTING.COM. Initially it appeared to be costlier than Bluehost.com where I am right now with development site. I found great reviews of MDDHOSTING on net and would be moving with my main sites - 2-3 to MDD.

Finally thanks again. Please make a seamless integration with Efront.

Kind Regards,
    Ayurveda Mentor
    http://ayurvedacoursesandclasses.com
    http://mentoring.ayurvedacoursesandclasses.com for Efront
  8. skippybosco

With 3.6.9 build 10697 has the updated api2.php so no need to make any changes. Integration is completely

Regarding not seeing lessons from the product page, some things to check:

1. Is the eFront XML API enabled? (logged on as admin -> system settings -> external tools -> Enable XML API

2. Double check the eFront userid / password / url you have configured in aMember.

3. Be sure to santise your course / lesson names from any high ascii characters such as & and #

If you are still having problems, email me at [my username here] @ hotmail.com and I'll do what I can to assist you.
  9. jackgordon

jackgordon Member

Hey Skippy,

I have been playing around with Moodle, but it is pretty complicated. Before I fully invest myself, can you tell me why eFront is better? One component that is crucial to me is the ability to issue certifications. It looks like that is not available in the free version... or am I misunderstanding?

In a paragraph or two, can you sell me on using eFront over Moodle?
  10. ayurvedamentor

ayurvedamentor New Member

Dear Skippybosco,

Sincere Thanks for your help.

Now your Efront plugin is very well integrated with Efront usergroups, courses and independent lessons. I had certain asci characters in my course name that is why it was not showing them.

Again Thanks a lot.

Kind Regards,
    Ayurveda Mentor

PS: I will be moving my websites, at least two to mddhosting in coming months. Your company deserves this.
  11. skippybosco

@ayurvedamentor: FYI, I do not own MDDHosting, I am just a customer that has been with them for a few years and have been very happy with their service. The majority of support that I deal with comes down to problems with their hosting so it's nice to have a solid host as a foundation for your site!
  12. skippybosco

@JackGordon: As a happy admin of eFront, and a devloper that switched from developing on Moodle to developing on eFront, I'll do my best to explain why *I* made the switch.

There are 4 things that really sold me on eFront:

1) As an student/user of eFront the look, feel and interaction was modern and intuitive. It had a very consistent interface to other popular websites that I use. The variety of themes that shipped with it allowed me to quickly adjust the appearance browser by browser (ie. specify an IE6 theme, versus an iPad theme, versus a Google Chrome theme) or across the whole site with ease.

2) As a Professor the course/lesson/content management was very intuitive. eFront did not "get in my way" trying to over complicate the creation. The variety of plugins that are included allowed me to add a range of functionality to my materials with just a few clicks. (http://www.efrontlearning.net/download/modules.html)

3) As an admin the install and support could not be easier. Easy to understand maintenance dashboards and tools, tools to help automate the management of the site, logging and reporting provided a simple way to keep up with what was happening on my sites. The documentation is kept up to date (http://docs.efrontlearning.net/)

4) As an developer the evolution of the platform has been in sync with the developers and admins that use it. As great as the recent versions have been, v4 will be even better (http://docs.efrontlearning.net/EFront_4)

Sorry this is not more "marketing" like.. if you have specific questions though let me know and I'll do what I can to answer them.
  13. jackgordon

jackgordon Member

Thanks Skippy - I don't care about marketing hype. Your insights are very helpful.

The one question you didn't address was certifications... am I correct that I cannot do that in the free version? And how does it work? Will the system deliver a printable e-certificate upon successful completion of a course?
  14. skippybosco

Sorry, I don't use certificates myself so I'm not entirely up on it.

Specifically, I'm not sure what the difference is with the certification listed in the product comparison matrix for Community ++ editions versus the free certificate module listed on the modules page

For that level of specifics I would suggest posting your question on the eFront forums:

http://forum.efrontlearning.net
  15. jackgordon

jackgordon Member

Another couple of questions... I am having trouble understanding the "number of users" concept. In the free community version, do we get an unlimited number of users (students)? What about the community ++ version?

And how does aMember integrate with eFront, vs. just using eFront's registration functions?

Thanks for your help!
  16. skippybosco

Both community and community ++ are unlimited users

Amember integration automates all user and course / lesson / group subscription management.
  17. jackgordon

jackgordon Member

Skippy,

WOW. I am experimenting with eFront now. What a difference from Moodle, in just about every way. This is MUCH easier to figure out.

Thanks for your help!
  18. skippybosco

19. jenolan

jenolan aMember Coder

Heya don't know which version my client was using but found and issue
    PHP:
    Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in line 102 of file efront.inc.php
    Which is
    PHP:
    if ($product[efront_catalog_id] != '0')
        { 
            if (
    $this_config['expact'] == 0) { foreach ($product[efront_catalog_id] as $item) { perform_action ("deactivate_user_".strstr_after($item'_')."&login=".$member[login]."&".strstr_after($item'_')."=".substr($item0strpos($item'_'))); }}
            else { foreach (
    $product[efront_catalog_id] as $item) { perform_action ("".strstr_after($item'_')."_from_user&login=".$member[login]."&".strstr_after($item'_')."=".substr($item0strpos($item'_'))); } }
        }
    I think the if needs to be
    PHP:
    if (count$product[efront_catalog_id] ) )
    This construct is used in a few spots so I didn't want to change it if I had the wrong problem.

Larry
  20. skippybosco

Thanks for the tip.

I've not heard/seen that issue before. Few basic things to check before modifying the plugin code are:

1) correct URL, User / Pass for the API
    2) API is enabled
    3) No illegal characters in Lesson / Course / Group names
    4) Correct version of API (ie. one above or one available in the latest release as the previous were producing invalid XML)

If you want I can also take a look at your clients site and debug as well.