Editing Products

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by demonDESIGN, Jan 13, 2004.

1. demonDESIGN

demonDESIGN Guest

Guys,

Is it possible to set the duration of products to less than a day?

My client is setting up a prospective 'pay-per-view' site and so were thinking of setting each subcription to last for 1 hour only.

Thanks in advance

--Neil Gibson
  2. alex-adm

alex-adm Guest

Unfortunately, aMember cannot work in this way.
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

what's the minimim subscription time?
  4. alex-adm

alex-adm Guest

it is
    time until 23:59:59 for the day of purchase + 24 hours.

or exactly 24 hours if you are using PayPal.
  5. futang

futang Guest

Indefinite duration

aMember looks a great product. I am thinking of buying it soon.

Is it possible to setup a product that has indefinite time period? I actually want a permanent license so that these users can always access their member pages. On this page, there should be no renew option.

Thanks in advance.

Felix
  6. Miko

Miko Guest

yes you can :)
  7. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Yes, you can set subscription period to 20y.
  8. futang

futang Guest

Indefinite duration

thanks for your response. It is helpful. But I still have the following questions:
    1) If you set it to 20y, it may display as 20 years under users profile (I couldn't simulate this unless I really pay for that. If I manually complete the payment as administrator, I could only set a maximum of 10 years from the drop down). This may confuse the user.
    2) Let's say I have one product of 3 different licenses
    a) 01- PhotoWatermark Professional (One year unlimited free upgrade)
    b) 02 - PhotoWatermark Professional (Life-time unlimited free upgrades)
    c) 03 - PhotoWatermark Professional (Renewal to life-time unlimited free upgrades)

I want show 03 only to 01 subscribers (I tried to check the appropriate items in "Require another subscription to order this product" section). It always shows to every subscriber group. I also tried negative group id, it will be disabled completely.

Ideally, in subscribers 02 or 03, there will be no option for them to renew their subscriptions because they have life-time license already.

How can I make this work?

Thanks.

Felix
  9. alex

1) OK, you can set subscription period to 100y

I hope it is clear for everyone that it is lifetime. In fact, for site or software, 20 years is also "lifetime". Just remember, IBM AT (286) has been released at Aug 1984 (20 years ago). Is it possible to remember any software title from that time? No, because it was just another epoch. Sorry for this long text.

2) Which aMember Pro version are you using?
  10. futang

futang Guest

Hi Alex,

I can live with duration issue. I was actually making suggestions. It is absolutely possible to add a real lifetime option or permanent license or whatever you call it. I can add a statement in the member page saying that the 10 year period will be automatically renewed upon expiration.

I am using the latest trial version from this website. I have to make it fully work before I release to the public. I assume that this version is exactly the same as the purchased one except it lasts only for 30 days. This is a payment system, I have to be careful. I hope you understand this.

You didn't answer my other question regarding the renew options.

Thanks.

Felix
  11. alex

2) Which aMember Pro version are you using?
  12. futang

futang Guest

The exact version is: Script Version: 2.1.7TRIAL in case you are not sure which version you have on your website as trial.

BTW, 100y does not work. The end time would be 1967. I don't know how the program calculates the date.

Maybe the current version just does not work the way I thought. I will still buy it. I have a few suggestions:

1) for paid subscribers, only display renew options available to the specific subcribers instead of checking it when the user select the wrong one.
    2) in the product setup menu, add another option similar to the one "Require another subscription to order this product", which is something like "Cannot subscribe to ... with this product".
    3) do not display the same product in the renew option if the user is still an active subscriber to it.
    4) allow an option of using email address as user ID to logon. This is most convenient since it is absolutely unique.

Thanks.

Felix
  13. Euan

Euan New Member

I like the idea of using the email address as user ID.
  14. futang

futang Guest

Thank you. Many advantages:
    1) unique
    2) can't forget
    3) long enough
    4) truely universal ID
    You name it.

Felix
  15. alex

Well, it is possible to do. Edit file
    amember/signup.php
    and change lines
    PHP:
    if (preg_match('/[^0-9a-zA-Z_ ]+/'$vars['login'])){

$error[] = "Username contains invalid characters - please use digits, letters or spaces";
    to
    PHP:
    if (preg_match('/[^0-9a-zA-Z_@\. ]+/'$vars['login'])){

$error[] = "Username contains invalid characters - please use digits, letters or spaces";
    and lines:
    PHP:
    $vars = & get_input_vars();
    to
    PHP:
    $vars = & get_input_vars();
    $vars['login'] = $vars['email'];
    then you can remove login field from signup form. However, I don't recommend anyone to do it.
  16. pauln

pauln Guest

Why would you recommend against this?

Paul N.
  17. alex

E-Mail as username may cause problems for websites. With this feature, user cannot have several accounts (sometimes you may need this), it is impossible to use forum/etc. integration modules.
  18. kbray

kbray New Member

date problem

I initially set the renewal period to 50 years and that did not work, it wrapped to 1969. 10 years seems to work.

-kbray
  19. yatesf

yatesf Guest

If you add a payment to a user, the expiration limit is the year 2015.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am planning on being alive still when that time comes.

Is this 2015 limit something that can change? That is only 10 years away, and those of us who've designed our sites past 10 years into the future might be hard pressed to remember what setting we'll need to reconfigure come that time.

Not to mention all the user accounts that will have accumulated by then and need to be updated. If it's a manual update that's required come 2015, that would really be tough.

Why was 2015 chosen as the maximum expiration date? Isn't the unix limit like 2030 something? This year 2015 is kind of limiting to vendors who want to offer their customers a lifetime membership to certain products.
  20. alex

It is defined inside amember/templates/admin/user_payments.html as
    {html_select_date prefix="expire_date" time=$p.expire_date start_year="-3" end_year="+10"}

I hope it is self-explanatory. 3 years before current, and 10 years after current year. So, there won't be problems in 2015 :)

BTW, I did not see yet websites that worked 10 years with exaclty the same software. At least you someday will need to upgrade to new version, just because server software (Apache, PHP) will be upgraded and will require your scripts to upgrade.