Dr******nt vs aMember Pro

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by harwoodr, Feb 17, 2004.

1. harwoodr

harwoodr Guest

DreamAccount vs aMember Pro

I'm trying to decide between these two products.

I've seen some bad feedback here regarding Dr*******nt - but I have some specific questions:

1. upgrades - Dr*******ntonly allows for 6 months of free upgrades... how does aMemeber Pro compare?
    2. affiliates - while Dr*******nt supports affiliates - I don't see any mention of this with aMember Pro...
    3. discount codes - is this supported in aMember Pro?

I don't like the Dr*******nt's forums are only open to current customers - how can I see what issues they might have?

If anyone could share the problems they've had with Dr*******nt - I'd appreciate it.
  2. pilot

pilot New Member

Before no doubt Alex will answer your questions, I bought D*******t before finding Amember... I wish it were the other way round.

1/ Upgrades: I found there was a lot of upgrades with D*******t... you needed them to plug holes in the software. The last thing you want to be doing is upgrading the software when things are running sweatly. The upgrades with AmemberPro never was an issue for me because it works all so well. When there is an upgrade there is smooth transition. New problems that do arise, such as the IE6 issue cgi-central was on it imediately and fixed the problem before I was even aware of it.

2/ Affiliates: I do believe it's on the way.. check with Alex. There are plenty of third party affiliate programs anyway, but I am pretty sure its within there sights.

3/Discounts: There is a cracking coupon system that works well, and easy to use.

Check out the testamonials ex-D*******t users are there, also Hotscript.com ratings.

You will not find better support.

AmemberPro user
  3. harwoodr

harwoodr Guest

What is the IE6 issue? (I'm not a windows user.)

Cracking coupon system???

Oh, I have... they're either "GREAT!" or "IT BLOWS"... no middle ground.
  4. pilot

pilot New Member

I do'nt use windows either, but your costomers will be using IE 6, and Microsoft have stopped users sending the password and user name in the URL to avoid the Apache Log in screen. AmemberPro had an encrypted secure .htaccess. See the Forum notes on the subject.

"cracking coupon" sorry I meant there is a very good coupon system that you can apply discounts by applying a coupon with so much off.

The Middleground is the Forum. There is nothing to stop anyone posting what they think.. good or bad. The posts do'nt get deleted or filtered... and it is as you said it's an open forum. Not convinced ? there is a (limited to the Pro version) fully functional free version you can try out first.

Hope you make the right decision

:cool:
  5. harwoodr

harwoodr Guest

I meant that I am unfamiliar with most windows problems - but I have heard of that one...

Part of aMember or third party?

I've been playing with it a bit... I'll have read through the code a bit... and decide if I can extend it to do what I need... since it doesn't already do all the things I want.

Then again, I might just end up writing one from scratch... which I was trying to avoid to save effort/man hours...
  6. jasondavis

jasondavis New Member

I would recommend you buy amember pro, the free version is WAY outdated so don't judge based on it, Im sure amember pro can do nearly everything you need.
  7. harwoodr

harwoodr Guest

Well, I need affiliates and coupons/discount codes... and I really haven't had a straight answer yet on if it can do that. :)

I can only base my evaluation on the free script - if it is out of date then it will reflect poorly on the Pro version.
  8. jasondavis

jasondavis New Member

The coupons work great, you can set as many coupons as you like, set the number a certain coupon can be used, make it a percent or an actual set price off and product. I beleive you can even set a coupon to only work with a certain product.

Can't help you with the refferal program though, the goods out weigh that to me personaly though.
  9. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Hi,
    thank you for your interest to aMember Pro script!

1. aMember has no affiliate program built-in, we are working on it but unfortunately we don't have exact date when it will be finished.

2. aMember supports coupons, as it said before.

3. I recommend you to have a look to online demo on our site - it shows aMember Pro in action. We understand that it is marketing error to publish such aMember Free and this error will be fixed soon. I would appeciate if you make your choice based on online demo and manual, not on the aMember Free.
  10. harwoodr

harwoodr Guest

I might - once I have a look through the code of the free version...
  11. abbeyvet

abbeyvet New Member

I think (though I can't see into his head) that what Alex means is that looking at the free version - code or otherwise - is going to tell you little or nothing about aMember Pro and as a means of evaluating aMember Pro and comparing it to Dream Account is a waste of time.

If you are trying to chose between aMember Free and DreamAccount, you are comparing apples and oranges.

You have a one month money back garauntee - there is no real risk in looking at the real thing!

On your original questions - the only thing aMember doesn't have is the affiliate stuff, but it works well and is easy to integrate with most if not all of the many affiliate systems already out there, so that is easily solved.
  12. harwoodr

harwoodr Guest

Ah - but I'm looking at code quality... If I have trouble following his code... it won't be worth my while if I have to fiddle-with/bend/twist it later.

First rule of acquisition - once you have their money, never give it back. While I'm not saying that is the case... but if my money stays in my pocket then I stay out of trouble.

Are there any recommended affiliate systems that are "easy to integrate" with aMember Pro?
  13. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Nobody can say that he has not got moneyback from CGI-Central when it has been promised! Well, really not a lot of peoples asked for moneyback ;)

Any affiliate system which can be integrated with shopping cart, can be integrated with aMember pro as well.
  14. abbeyvet

abbeyvet New Member

Not my first rule. Mine would be once you have their money make sure they are so deleriously happy they want to come back and give you more. :D
  15. gennaro

gennaro New Member

Dr*******nt is a Nightmare

I bought D*********nt and it has been the most frustrating experience!!!!
    Full of bugs, lousy tech support. Actually the tech support is non-existant.
  16. harwoodr

harwoodr Guest

Well - considering I have had zero response from dreamcost (I notice that their product name has been censored here - interesting)... and that there seems to be an outpouring of support for amember...

I'm going to develop my game using amember - for the time being I will use the free version - as htaccess authentication is the same no matter what - but when I am ready to go public, I'll purchase pro.

As for the rule of acquisition - unfortunately too many people actually follow it... :p
  17. cewncew

cewncew Guest

Let me save you some aggravation

I purchased amember on after going through a nightmare with DA. There is ZERO support and the software is very buggy. After 36 hours of trying to get DA working, I asked for a refund. It took threats from DA's local police depatment to return my money. If you were able to get into DA forums you would see for yourself, but only paying customers can see whats going on with DA and none of them are happy. Last time I was able to log in (about a week ago) the latest reply from any DA staff was 38 days ago.

After that DA nightmare I purchased aMember, which is by far the best membership program for the money. The support is worth the $149 itself. Alex is a fantastic person and will do anything to get you up and running. I only wish I had known about aMember sooner.

Good Luck

C Warren