Does PayPal Pro Plugin not support recurring payments?

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by brendaleann, Aug 1, 2012.

1. brendaleann

brendaleann New Member

I just saw this in the documentation:

WARNING. PayPal PRO does not support recurring billing, and it is by nature of PayPal PRO system. It cannot be implemented in the plugin because it is not supported by PayPal, and clearly denied by PayPal Pro terms.

I want to make sure because I want the option of new members being able to sign up as a guest and not have a paypal account but I also need recurring payments as well.

Thanks for any info on this!
  2. fineart

fineart New Member

I ran up against this a few years ago and we called Paypal...however, as I understand it, you can get around it by setting up the recurring to be set up through your amember software. Likewise, with taxes, we set it up so the taxes are charged within the amember software, so when it, or any recurring charges fire up, paypal only sees the amount and handles it as a one off, one sum transaction...at least that's how I understand it...Rob
  3. jjun0366

jjun0366 New Member

anyone have a firm answer to this?
    Can I use Paypal Pro for recurring billing or do I need to use Payflow Pro?
  4. jbubb

jbubb New Member

Paypal Pro does support reoccuring billing, but you have to sign up for it at an additional cost. Sadly, it looks like Amember's plugin for it is borked at the moment and does not work.
  5. playpianoking

playpianoking Member

Any update on this?! I planned on using 1shoppingcart with paypal pro for recurring payments. Does this not work with amember? :(
  6. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

aMember Pro technically supports recurring billing with PayPal Pro. The problem is - will Paypal enable recurring billing on your PayPal Pro account or not. Ask them.