Does or can amember do this?

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by wowologist, Sep 30, 2008.

1. wowologist

wowologist New Member

:cool:Don't know if it can - or it exists somewhere out there already but -
    Is it possible to have a module that would create an email account for the member subscribing to the site?

Sortof like so to say a 2mb email account of the host domain that the site is created on?

So if we have www.wowologist.com and as part of the membership were giving them a web based email with @wowologist.com as part of the package.

Is this doable feasible does it exist? can it exist? And I think it would be a :Dscreamin' addition to amember which is already screamin' hot!:D
  2. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

This is very possible depending on what you are using to provide email and if they expose the ability to create email addresses via programmatic means.

I would say it is also very possible to provide single sign on as well.

Which mail app are you using?
  3. tomfra

tomfra Member

I think this would be quite simple actually. No "hacking" of the aMember core code needs to be done. aMember has built-in "hooks" for this - they are described at http://manual.amember.com/Using_site.inc.php_and_hooks . While some coding would still be necessary, we are talking about like 10-20 lines of PHP code, maybe less, maybe more as it depends on the email account software you plan to use.

A few more lines of code would be necessary for automatic removal of an existing email account if the member cancels their membership, but still should be easily doable.

Tomas
  4. skippybosco

Agreed. Depending on your email software I can even code this as an external plugin for you (for free) in a couple of hours..that way you don't have to touch the core aMember code or templates.
  5. wowologist

wowologist New Member

Very Interesting

Thanks for the input - and if you would like to experiment like you said, feel free to drop me a line at wowologist(@)gmail.com, maybe we can set something up. ( I dont know we can openly say that here, since it's not our forums, but as an end user/purchaser I would find this a saleable ++ addition to a software package such as amember!)

I can imagine that we would not be the only ones who would find something like this extremely useful. In general searches of the 'net I have not found anything close to it (either as a script or component of another program) - we might be searching with wrong terms as input though - heh.
  6. tomfra

tomfra Member

7. skippybosco

email is in your box.. check spam if not in your inbox
  8. johnkunes

johnkunes New Member

Did you get this working? I am very interested in this.

Thanks,
    John