cron fatal error

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by chris_nerat, Nov 3, 2015.

1. chris_nerat

chris_nerat Member

I recently posted about a strange cron log that was showing a cron EXCEPTION when trying to unsubscribe a user -- that user was me! and I assure you I was not trying to unsubscribe myself. I was told that my AWeber API key was expired and that if I updated it, that would most likely fix this cron message. So, I updated it even though it should not have been expired. Anyway, several hours later I got an email with the subject "Cron Daemon" Fatal Error" error establishing database connection" I went to log into my site and my site is not available. I then went to log into my aMember admin account -- again, not available. I was finally able to log into my site via the WordPress admin, which at least confirmed that the site was still there -- thank God!

Thankfully, after about twenty minutes my site became available again, BUT, I am certain that when the cron trys to run again next hour my site will once again be down and I'll no doubt get another cron daemon email to add to my collection!

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. And yes, I have already submitted a help desk ticket but it may be a while before I hear anything back.

Thank you.
  2. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

Cannot help with your actual problem just quick bit of advise, apologies if you already have, but make sure you have a backup copy of aMember installation and, more importantly as you can always reinstall aMember from scratch (but more work without an up to date backup) the database(s).
  3. chris_nerat

chris_nerat Member

Thank you for the reply. I have regular backups of WordPress but don't know how to make backups of aMember installation -- I will take a look to see what I can find.

Thanks
  4. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

Access your site using an FTP program, exactly same way as you would upload files, and download the complete aMember folder.

Database can be backed-up using cPanel or a third party program. I use SQLyog.
  5. chris_nerat

chris_nerat Member

Thanks - I backed up the aMember install and my database is backed up via BackupBuddy -- daily data and weekly full backup.