Creating a Point system for Members

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by txelite, Jul 9, 2009.

1. txelite

txelite New Member

So, I'm very interested in purchasing aMember. So far, everything I've read looks good. I'm in the process of downloading the trial version to work out some more of th details.

One feature that I was looking for, but don't quite know what to call it, is a "point System".

What I want to do is when a new member signs up for a subscription, they will receive monthly "points" or "credits". So, based on the subscription that is selected, the member will start accruing points/credits. Each month, they will get more credits. At a later date, the points can be used towards future purchases. So basically, the points/credit can also be used as currencty.

any ideas?

thanks,

Charles
  2. laurie_m1

laurie_m1 New Member

I am very interested in offering a ' points ' system too. So that I can limit the amount a subscribed member can download per month. Any ideas of how to do this or a script to add that would function this way ?
    thanks
  3. erwinvdb

erwinvdb aMember Pro Customer

Wonderful idea! I'm highly interested too.
  4. jeanjacques

jeanjacques New Member

very very great idea i would love to spend my money for this feature
  5. kengary

kengary aMember Pro Customer

Hey Everyone!

I would have no trouble putting together a points system plugin to give points based on purchases. That part would be a lot of fun to do. What I'm not so sure of without further research and study is how to turn those points into currency within aMember or how to use the points to limit the amount the subscriber can download.

Can you be a little more specific in how each of you seeing this system work? Walk me through it.

Each product could have two points fields to determine the amount to reward: First purchase and recurring purchases. You can assign one value to the first payment. That would be used for lifetime and recurring payments. Then on payment 2..n they would get assigned a different value.

Another field on the product setup screen would be the number of points it would take to redeem that product.

Or would you rather just assign points dollar values? 10 points - $1.00 and that just gets translated into the price of the subscriptions when they want to redeem them.

The member record would have a new field to keep track of their points which they could view but not edit on their profile.

I guess for redemption it would have to work like the coupons do. That's where I'm a little unclear how hard this would be to achieve. But I can look into that.

Your thoughts?...
  6. erwinvdb

erwinvdb aMember Pro Customer

Personally I'm more interested in the "points equals cash" solution.

For redemption I think that it works indeed like coupons. But in this case personal coupons (JLogica has build such a plugin). The difference here is that it's a _variable_ personal coupon. So, as soon as a threshold has been reached (let's say 10 points) the points are automatically converted to a coupon.

But what if someone has gained 2 or more coupons, should they be able to apply these coupons it to 1 product? This can be done with accepting multiple coupons, though I doubt if it's possible to use multiple coupons, OR coupon conversion (2 coupons of $10 become 1 coupon of $20).
  7. deafdavid

deafdavid Member

I agreed witherwnvdb. However, my non-profit organization is now developing short and long term plan for web expansion. I'm looking at using point system for our members. Non-members may purchase points.

We are planning to add one or two web-based software (e.g. ecard, etc). Let use ecard as example:

1. Our member will get 5 points per months. Members will be able to "buy" ecard and send to their friends or families. Points will be carried over if not used.

2. If our member runs out of points, they may purchase additional points ($5.00 for 10 points).

3. If non-member wish to send ecard, they'll have to buy points or buy the ecard (I think this may not be best -- should do one way or another).

Most ecards will be one point. There may be few ecards will requires 2 or 3 points.

Note: Our membership is set for one year for a fee. Maybe #1 above is not practical, I may give our members # of points per year (instead of per month).

Dave
  8. laurie_m1

laurie_m1 New Member

Hopefully, this topic is still of interest to some. I run into a bit of a snag with how exactly to setup amember to calculate start and end dates based on CALENDAR month and not user based (30d ) month.

Basically, for my manual subscribers I just put in their start date ( today ) and their end date is 12 calendar months ( Nov.18th 2009 - Oct. 31 2010 ). So, how do I get my online signup member's expire date to be the ending of the previous month??

The reason for needing this is ... at the beginning of each month I offer 10 points to all active members. If the subscription was based on each individual users month I would never be able to keep track of who is ready for their next installment of points. I need to keep this calendar month based. Any ideas : )

thanks.
  9. chronoshift

chronoshift Member

I hate how amember doesn't respond to so many threads like this, this sounds like an awesome feature and it's actually something I need right now, any possibility?
  10. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

You have dug up a thread 5 years old!!!