Coupon codes for auto recurring products

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by kenmoody, Mar 13, 2016.

1. kenmoody

kenmoody New Member

Hi All,

I am trying to create a coupon code for an auto renewing product. I'd like the discount to apply to only the first instance of a payment, and then all subsequent payment to be at the normal price. If I do not select the "Apply to recurring?" field in the coupon setup, then it will not allow that code to be applied. If I do select that option, then it indicates the discount is applied to all subsequent payments. How do I achieve the desired result?

Thanks so much!

KM
  2. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

Actually this setting "Apply to recurring?" control only discount for subsequent payment (apply or not) .
    In your case you just need to not enable this option and aMember will apply discount only to first payment
    within recurring subscription. This option do not disallow usage of coup[on for recurring subscriptions.

I suggest to set up such coupon and try top do test sign up with it to see how it works.

Best Regards.
  3. kenmoody

kenmoody New Member

Thank you for the response Ceasar. I should have added, that is what prompted the question. I did set up a coupon for an annual recurring product, with the "Apply to Recurring" field not checked. When I tried to use the coupon on the recurring product, amember would not let me do so, responding with a message that there were no available products for the coupon. I then went in and checked the Apply to Recurring on the coupon, and it immediately let me use the coupon. I hope that clarifies, thanks so much for any and all assistance!

KM
  4. caesar

Did you set first price to 0 for your subscription?
  5. kenmoody

kenmoody New Member

6. caesar

aMember consider 0 payment as a first payment within subscription in context of coupon. So your discount applied only to 0 and do not give any discount actually if you did not enable option 'Apply to recurring'. In event of you use coupon on sign up form that do not give any discount then aMmeber show error regarding it.

So coupon without 'Apply to recurring' does not make sense in case of subscription with free trial.
  7. kenmoody

kenmoody New Member

OK, that makes sense.

So if I created a coupon, did check the 'Apply to Recurring' field, and set the coupon code for a limited time period, say 90 days, would the discount only apply to any payments that came due during that time period? Or would the discount apply to every subsequent payment regardless of the end date of the coupon?

Thanks so much for you help!

KM
  8. caesar

Unfortunately no. aMember apply discount to whole billing plan during sign up.

It is not possible to have free trial and then first payment with low price and subsequent payments with high price. aMember allow you to set up only two level of price for recurring subscription - one price for first payment and second price for subsequent payments.