Converting from PayPal-managed-user solution

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by damon, Mar 14, 2004.

1. damon

damon Guest

I'm currently using PayPal's user-management mechanism (with IPN, recurring and non-recurring subscriptions, etc.). My PayPal IPN-handling script writes the username/password info into a Berkeley DB file (using the .htpasswd file wouldn't work with the number of subscribers we get, so I modified the paypal.pl file to write to the Berkeley DB file instead of .htpasswd).

Anyway, my question is, if I now want to use aMember to handle my subscriber's info, is there some way to export out the existing data about my users from PayPal, and import it into the new aMember DB? I'm not seeing anything in PayPal that lets you create a list of users with their username, password, and expiration data. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks in advance,
    Damon
  2. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Hi Damon,
    There is export ability in PayPal interface - have a look. aMember will be able to accept this export file.
  3. damon

damon Guest

Exporting from PayPal

Well, I'm aware of PayPal's "download history" mechanism. Is that what you are referring to? But that only lets you export certain fields, and that does not include username, password, and expiration/recurring subscription data. Or are you referring to a different export feature that I'm not seeing?

Thanks,
    Damon
  4. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Damon,
    I just had a look and it is really impossible to get usernames and passwords from PayPal. However, aMember import function can generate usernames/passwords for new members, and you will just email them new usernames / passwords - it is very easy using corresponding admin functions.
  5. damon

damon Guest

Importing from PayPal

Ah, I found a way that I'll be able to do it after all. If you choose the "Subscriptions" option (rather than "All Activity") when you download the PayPal history log, then it gives you usernames, e-mail addresses, date purchased, and the product purchased (which in my case incorporates the expiration -- for example, "3-month subscription for an individual student"). Anyway, I'll be able to take that export and write a little script that transforms that info into whatever format I need for importing into aMember. Whew.

OK, now my question is, I'm not seeing where you do the import in aMember. I don't see any option to do a bulk import in the Admin control panel. I searched this forum and I see references to some import link in the control panel, but I'm not seeing that. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here, but can someone tell me where the import file format is defined (delimited text file fields), and then how to execute the bulk import?

Thanks,
    Damon
  6. damon

damon Guest

Never mind

Never mind, I see now that the import feature is available in the Pro version.