Categories?

Discussion in 'Installation' started by sabine, Jun 25, 2013.

1. sabine

sabine New Member

Hello
    can someone explain to me the use of setting up Categories please.

Why would I add products to categories?
    What does it do?

Or point me the the right documentation where I can get more info :)
    Thanks
  2. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Categories make it simpler to group products when protecting areas on your site (e.g. pages etc in Wordpress). You can also show products in forms by their category and set conditionality / upgrade based on a category rather than individual products.

So, for example, you could have a 'membership' category, which grants access to certain areas of your site.
    Then, any time you add a product, you simply add it to the category rather than editing the protection on your site.

If you set protection page by page in Wordress, a category can be a huge timesaver if your products change frequently.

Cheers
    Rob
  3. doyo

doyo aMember Pro Customer

I discovered today that if folders are protected with categories rather than product purchases, users who did not complete the payment process on page two of the paypal process can still access the protected folder.

Because - The category is appended to the user's record even without payment.

Even though the product link did not appear under "Active Resources" they were able to enter the protected folder because the folders were protected by categories.
  4. doyo

doyo aMember Pro Customer

An update on my previous comment, above. I think I had this problem (category appending without payment) because I had placed the category block on the signup form. I've not fully tested, but I am pretty sure that I screwed up. :confused:
  5. petertravis

petertravis aMember Pro Customer

I'm really trying hard to get my head around categories but am still confused. I've set up a few products and I can see how that works. I haven't yet set up any categories. I'll be selling several products and I 'think' categories might help me.
    1) Does a category allow admin to create different sign up forms tailored to particular customers. For example, placing products A, B and C in a category 'cookery books' would mean a customer that is only interested in cookery books could be presented with just these three products when signing up?
    2) Are products within a product category still independent when it comes to access? In other words, a customer that has subscribed to Product A would only have access to Product A, even though Product B and C are in the same category.
  6. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Correct

It depends... if your protection is set by product, then yes, it stays independent of category. So in this case, you can use categories to simplify signup forms and not protection.

But if you set protection based on category, then no...

Cheers
    Rob
  7. petertravis

petertravis aMember Pro Customer

Many thanks Rob. Having just purchased a licence I'm giving myself 3 months to 'play' before rolling it out. You've just helped me take one more step!