Cannot save SMTP setting in 'Configuration'...!

Discussion in 'Installation' started by njwrigley, Dec 28, 2014.

1. njwrigley

njwrigley New Member

Hi there,

I'm a new user to aMember, but not to web development or PHP.

I've updated the SMTP settings in:
    ../admin-setup/email

to use MailChimp's transactional email service 'Mandrill'.

You use a password that you create in the Mandrill GUI and can have multiple passwords. I used a password in aMember and all was working fine, but then I deleted this password and created a new one. (I should add that you cannot recreate the old password)

Now, aMember refuses to save this new password and ALWAYS overwrites the modifications that I make in the SMTP settings back the ones that I created in the initial setup.

This is really frustrating as it means that I cannot use SMTP as it reverts to settings that I can no longer use! This includes the username, port etc.

I've hunted around in the database to try to find the table that stores this data, but cannot, and so was wondering if others have had this issue in the past too??

I could really use a solution, as I cannot send out emails as of right now!!!

Thanks for any and all help.
    ngenomark likes this.
  2. natesnotes

natesnotes aMember Pro Customer

I am having a similar problem. Everything was working fine, but then all of a sudden over this past weekend, I started getting emails from folks who were trying to sign up on my website but were not getting their "verification" emails in order to complete the signup process.

After some investigation, I discovered that aMember seems to have somehow "forgotten" the password for sending via SMTP.

If I update it on the configuration page, it works again to send test emails... but then, even though I am saving the changes (including making more significant changes, like switch mail servers, usernames, passwords, etc.), when I leave the page and come back, it has reverted back to all of the old information again (i.e. the changes are being saved).

I have an email into the support desk but haven't heard back yet... if anyone else knows what might be going on (and how I can fix it), I'd love to get things back on track ASAP!

Thanks!
  3. natesnotes

er, correction above - the changes are NOT being saved when I click save :)
  4. njwrigley

njwrigley New Member

If you navigate to:
    member/admin-setup/email

you'll see a field called:
    Technical E-Mail Address
    shown on error pages. If empty, [Admin E-Mail Address] is used

this implies that this field is NOT required, in that you ought to be able to leave it blank.

At some point in the recent past, this field appears to have become required and so it needs an entry. Saving with no data in this field cause the form to quite silently, not update.

I just put an email address in it and clicked save and it all saved as per expectations. I think that aMember need to alter the wording of this field.

I hope that this is what is causing the problem for you!
  5. natesnotes

it did! thank you SOOO much!