Bulletin Boards

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by Mangoes, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Mangoes

Mangoes Guest

Another presales question, well a two part one anyway.

My site is currently running WebBBS for the bulletin board. When I move to aMember Pro with a BB plugin can all my existing messages be moved to the new system??

Also what is the security like. For example I have received a message from a user that a friend of his entered his name in google and one of the search strings came back with a direct link to his postings on my WebBBS bulletin board. As this board is in the so called secure members area there are a few not to happy users.
  2. abbeyvet

abbeyvet New Member

That depends entirely on the board and has nothing to do with aMember and everything to do with the BB software you choose. I see that WebBBS uses a flattext file rather than MySQL to store info, which may make it trickier. But it can probably be done. Ask the owners of the various BBs you are considering as an alternative.

aMember is secure. However the plugins do not really secure the bb as such - they determine who will have access to the various forums on it according to their membership level. How the access levels themselves are set up will again depend on the BB.That said, it would solve the issue you are having now.
    I would recommend looking at Invision - this board. Aside from the fact that it is truely excellent it is also free, which is nice.
  3. intrud0r

intrud0r Guest

What about phpBB???
  4. abbeyvet

abbeyvet New Member

There is already a plugin available for PHPBB