Bulk post/page protection

Discussion in 'Setting-up protection' started by awesselsboer, Feb 13, 2013.

1. awesselsboer

awesselsboer New Member

By accident I stumbled upon the following option....

I have a website with over 1300 articles. If you want to protect a lot of content in one go (but not all) there are various ways to implement protection. I used category protection most of the time. However, I wanted older articles (after 6 months) to be available to all guests/members without any membership. How can you give access to some articles in a category, but not all.... Well, by accident I noticed that you can bulk-protect post/pages via the regular Wordpress post/page lists. All the way in the bottom you can see a 'tick' box after selecting a series of posts. This way you do not have to open all articles one-by-one to activate/deactivate protection. Very, very handy if simple category protection is too much. See screen shots for details.

1 big question: why of why do the programmers 'hide' this extremely valuable feature in such a spot? I would advertise this feature on the front page - I know from experience that quite a few people are looking for this feature after building a good size website.

Anyway, just wanted to share this info!

Attached Files:

2. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Nice find- may have been added on a later release, but not properly promoted.
    Definitely a useful feature, especially if moving from 3.x to 4.x!

David
  3. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

I'll add it to the WordPress documentation soon.
  4. awesselsboer

awesselsboer New Member

I got a message from the developers about this feature: some minor bugs will be resolved in the next update. Also, they have added screenshots in the wiki about using this feature.

current bug:
    - when filtering posts on age/category etc the 'protect bulk post' options does not show
    - selecting/deselecting all posts in the list does not show 'protect bulk post' option. you can get around this by selecting 1 post, then selecting all posts (works for me).

These should be fixed in next update.

Almost cried with joy when I came across the option...
  5. ozlady

ozlady New Member

I would love this feature for pages as well... so that we can choose to have some pages that sit outside the protected area. This would be great.
  6. ozlady

ozlady New Member

I take this back... I just found it for Pages... and awesselsboer is right... it only appears after selecting the page tick-boxes. A better implementation would be if it were at the top and maybe greyed out until pages/posts were selected. Thanks!