Better Online aMember Resources?

Discussion in '3rd Party Service Providers' started by akanowicz, Sep 20, 2009.

1. akanowicz

akanowicz New Member

While I appreciate the online manual and forums, I feel that the level of documentation misses the mark.

Can anyone recommend other websites, videos, etc. (both free and pay) that help explain how to use and customize aMember?

Thanks
  2. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

@akanowicz: Besides these forums, which have a ton of information in them, Membership Academy is the first site that comes to mind for a deeper level of information on installing, customizing and running an aMember shop.

Is there something specific you are looking to do or that you have questions about?
  3. akanowicz

akanowicz New Member

I think of WordPress and how one can find other sites with templates to customize its look. The WordPress site also has a good deal of well written documentation.
    I do appreciate these forums, but feel like:
    1. if the online manual did a better job we'd have to rely less on the forums and,
    2. Are other people doing other things with aMember? Like creating optional profile pages, or talking about specific tips, etc.

It was just a general question.
  4. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

PHP, MySQL and Smarty templating are fairly well documented elsewhere, unrelated to aMember, and those techs make up the core of the functionality in aMember.

While I agree there are certainly opportunities to better document installation, configuration and customization, there is enough information there to get those familar with the core tech going with little effort, especially using the provided code as a guideline.

That being said, where there is a pain, there is an opportunity for an entrepreneurial minded person to cure that pain. David has done a great job of doing that with Membership Academy.

I think there is a fair amount of information on how admins have set up their specific environment in the aMember forums. As far as a comparison to the Wordpress community, to put things in perspective, they have 1,500,000 unique visitors a month compared to aMembers 47,000