amember4 Member Directory configuration

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by koedel, May 13, 2013.

1. koedel

koedel aMember Pro Customer

I have recently upgraded to amember 4. With amember 3, we used memberlist to display a list of names of all our current members. I purchased the member directory module for amember 4 and installed it on our website. I can see the Member Directory option under CP >> Protect Content >> Members Directory, but I don't understand how to populate the directory with the names of users from the data base. There is a button to add a new member, but obviously I don't want to add members one by one. What am I missing? The readme file said to configure the module at CP >> Setup >> [Module Name], but no such option appears under setup. Also, we need to be able to display custom fields. Thanks for your help!
  2. everbatim

everbatim aMember Pro Customer

I think I might be able to help here since I was the customer who originally paid to have this feature developed for version 4, so a lot of how it works was based on how I needed it setup. That said, the one lacking part was a pre populated sorting listing.

The directory itself pulls its listings directly from your member database automatically so long as your Access Permissions on the directory's setup page has been set correctly. This is because, in my case, I wanted the directory to contain listings only for those members that were active in a certain subscription. Also, I asked them to add the abiity for members to exclude themselves from the listing, so at the bottom of the user's profile page there is a checkbox to exclude them from the directory entirely. If those 2 areas aren't setup properly, your directory will be empty.

I also needed the ability to display custom fields, so I had them build that in as well, so I know that works. On the main setup/config page, under plug ins, make sure that the directory is listed and selected in your enabled modules list. Then under protect content -> integrations --> member directory, be sure to create a new directory so one actually exists in the first place.

The directory itself ended up being just a giant table with sorting fields at the top, so I created a nice little interface page with a map and some of the typical searches my users may perform. You're welcome to take a peek if you want to see how I set mine up. Like I said, because they designed it around my needs it might help you with the answers you seek. Here's the link:

http://www.eclipseusers.com/directory_map.php

Hope this helps some, and if aMember admin doesn't jump in soon, let me know and I'll try and help more!
  3. koedel

koedel aMember Pro Customer

That is a huge help. Thanks to your instructions, I was able to create a directory. Your map looks terrific! It doesn't appear that I got the same modified module that you requested, though, because I don't seem to have the option of adding a custom field. I also would like to be able to display only names of people whose membership is not expired. Lastly, it would be helpful to have the list sort alphabetically by last name. We are a running club and I mostly just need to have a page that displays a list of current members' names. It probably wouldn't take someone who knows what they're doing very long to modify the code to make it do this. For me, on the other hand, it could take a lifetime!
  4. tarynike

tarynike Member

Hey there,
    I'm hoping you may be able to help me out. Your site looks awesome!

I don't know a lot of php - how did you get your directory map to display on a page that looks like the rest of your site like that? I'd love to be able to do that, but choosing the option to use my theme didn't do it - made it ugly and look worse.

From what I can tell, it looks like I can create a main directory that the public can see, and then their are filters at the top they can choose to drill down into that directory. It's not quite what I thought I was getting, and I'm wondering if this is possible...

I was told I'd be able to have a searchable form where the public could enter search criteria to pull up a list of members they wanted. The above does that in a round-about sort of way, but is there a way to implement that so they don't have pull up the full list and then drill down into it to get what they need? Right now, in order to display all the fields they can search or drill down with, it goes too far across the screen. How can I fix that issue, as well?

Here's an example: http://ppiac.org/amember/directory

Thanks!
  5. everbatim

everbatim aMember Pro Customer

@ Koedel - You may need to contact support for the ability to add custom fields to your directory. In mine, all the custom fields I create (which are part of the customer's record or profile) are listed in my drop down boxes in the admin area. I have a feeling they may have made that change directly to my personal installation without adding it to the master distribution plug-in itself. I don't see a way to sort the directory by any specific criteria by default in the admin. I think it already sorts alphabetically by last name by default though, so that shouldn't require any changes.

@ Tarynike - The actual page that the directory map is sitting on isn't a page that is under the direct control of aMember simply because the built-in Content Management System inside aMember doesn't handle custom complex code very well (really at all). That map page is just a normal PHP page that I designed myself, which of course matches the rest of my website and aMember. As for the rest of your questions, it looks like you already had support resolve those. I would be happy to send you a copy of the generic directory map I created for the site. It's just an image with a LOT of hotspot references for the different state areas. The hotspots are just linked to the sorting criteria of the member directory, so you should be able to just do a find/replace to change the folder references in my URL to match yours without having to do a ton of work. Just let me know!

Sorry it took so long to respond, I somehow missed the forum notification emails!