aMember wordpress plugin help. Now protecting entire site.

Discussion in 'Integration' started by earthchanges, Mar 23, 2013.

1. earthchanges

earthchanges New Member

Hello,

We are using the amember wordpress plugin on our new site. We had temporary installed WordPress in its own directory /wordpress and the aMember plugin was working fine. Anyone could go to the website without logging in and once you click an article that was in a category protected by the plugin it would prompt you to log in if you were not already.

Now we have move the WordPress install to the root directory and aMember is requesting login for the entire website. http://www.earthchangesmedia.com

We do not want to protect the /index.php file we would like people to see the site and only be asked to log in if they click articles within a category which is protected.

How do I remove the protection from the homepage?
  2. hpca

hpca New Member

I think you need to check your aMember plugin settings in your Wordpress installation.

Uncheck "Protect whole blog" option.

Then protect individual wordpress pages and posts to those products or product categories that need to see them.

Perhaps there's a way to protect the whole site (blog) via this plugin setting and through altering php code of index.php not require login just for your home page. But I'm not able to direct you how to do this part.
  3. earthchanges

earthchanges New Member

I do not see an option to uncheck "protect entire blog"

Under "aMember Plugin Setings" settings I have:

aMember URL
    Integration Method
    aMember Integration Security Key
    Redirect Registration to aMember
    Redirect After Logout

4. hpca

hpca New Member

I know, I had to hunt for it too. It's one of those global settings I picked 6 months ago . . . knew I'd seen it but had to remind myself of where.

It's set over on the Wordpress Dashboard side.

Remember, you have to "integrate" on both the aMember side AND on the Wordpress "plugin" settings side so Wordpress can "talk back" to the aMember installation.

Hope that helps.

Gary

Attached Files:

5. earthchanges

earthchanges New Member

Still do not see that option. We are using aMember Pro V3 and the plugin was installed less than 3 weeks ago, so I assume it is the latest version. It was working perfectly until we moved to the root directory.

Attached Files:

6. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

I visited the site. Looks link only the home page is posting the request for a login. I am not sure exactly what you did, but if you follow the integration instructions explicitly this should not happen.

It is also better to install WordPress in a sub-directory like you originally had it. I went and added this to the documentation. You then add an index.php file to the root that redirects all visitors to the WordPress installation using the php redirect command.

Something like this will work:

PHP:
    <?php
    header
    'Location: http://path-to-your-wp-installation/index.php' ) ;
    ?>
  7. hpca

hpca New Member

We're using aMember Pro v4, so it makes sense you have different Wordpress aMember plugin settings. The "protect whole blog" option must be a v4 feature so wordpress integrations don't have to use the page-by-page protection when creating pages/posts.

Just wondering if this would take care of your issue . . . create a new home page in Wordpress, then in Wordpress's main Settings >> Reading section, assign your new main home page to "Front Page". Because clearly you can already show "category pages" but protect "article pages" that launch from them.

Perhaps you might have to do a redirect on your webhost account so hits to URL http://www.earthchangesmedia.com redirect to http://www.earthchangesmedia.com/home/.

PS: Not sure what this would do to your SEO, but you are a "new site" per your original post.

Attached Files:

8. hpca

hpca New Member

PS: Grant's post wasn't there when I started my reply (#7), but appeared when I posted my reply and screen refreshed. I'd defer to his expertise.

I'm not sure how the whole aM v3 vs. v4 plays into things, or if the context of Grant's reply was specific to v3.

That said, our v4 install seems to be working fine with:
    "protect whole blog" unchecked.
    assign protection on pages/posts to authorized product categories and/or individual products.
    our wordpress is on the root of the hosting account: ourdomain.com
    aMember is in a subdirectory: ourdomain.com/member
  9. gswaim

Then this thread should have been posted in the Version 3 section. Everybody is volunteering their time trying to help you assuming you have Version 4 and you don't.

While Version 3 is still supported by aMember support, I personally consider it to obsoleted by the superior Version 4 and can't provide any help.
  10. earthchanges

earthchanges New Member

Grant I apologize for posting in the wrong thread, however the forum structure is a little confusing. Forums>amember>Integration does not designate a version. Anyway I already had amember4 installed by cgi-central and after reading the responses here I decided to go ahead and import the data from v3 to v4 yesterday and everything was good. All our members and products were imported correctly, however when I configured the WordPress plugin as soon as I hit save something terrible happened. After clicking save, it went to a blank page now amember4 is showing a page with "aMember is not configured yet. Go to configuration page" and YES i followed the instructions. I now have a support ticket in with amember so I hope they can resolve the issue on Monday.

Thanks for the help guys I hope to get this resolved and move forward.
  11. gswaim

That's understandable. no problem.
    Smart move.
    I am sure they will get you up and going. Good Luck.