Amember vs ***4

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by johnobrian, Aug 29, 2008.

1. johnobrian

johnobrian New Member

Hey All,

I am a bit of a novice at all this, so would appreciate any help. Which one should I go for, Amember or *************

Both seem to do what I want (subscriptions via PayPal and Drupal integration) so what else should I be looking for? I just don't want to be kicking myself if I go with Amember and later wished I had gone with ***********. What other benefits/features should I be comparing them on? Response times, telephone support, etc...? What is important and what is just decoration?

I'm going to guess most people picked Amember here :) so what convinced you?

Sorry about all the questions, just want to get this right the first time:)

Cheers,
    John
  2. autograff

autograff New Member

Price was one (lower price, pay once; ******* has a setup fee and a quarterly license fee), support info was another. The support forum on MCP4 has very few posts, like it was launched yesterday. Same with their Wiki, which is displaying the default wiki install, not even any relevant text at all. The design of the ********** site is great, and they say they've been around since 1999, but they don't inspire confidence in their support. Amember is well documented, lots of helpful postings by an active community, it's easy to configure, does just what I want without trying to do more. Also doesn't need pages to be php. The combination sold me.

Richard
  3. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

Strange, I had responded to this earlier and now that post has been deleted.

I'll repost my response (as it is still in Yahoo's cache)

update: ok, just to call out some weirdness about this thread. Perhaps I'm being overly paranoid today but the Yahoo cache version of this thread suggests it was originally started on 9/28 @ 9:45am. The original thread link has since been deleted (this is a new thread that was started on 9/29 @ 1:15 am)

Since users do not have the ability to delete their own threads (at least I do not have that ability) that suggests that the Admin deleted the original thread. The new post, however, did not mention anything about their original post being deleted?

What gives?
  4. deafdavid

deafdavid Member

Skippy, you're right..something not right. I positive DavidM did a reply yesterday. Now his answer is gone.
  5. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

It's in the Yahoo Cache Still:

6. ollie

ollie New Member

well they upped the ante by listing comparison ;)

7. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Looks like they jimmied the table
    "Instant Payment" what does this mean? Wouldn't this depend on your payment processor- i use paypal- thats instant :)

David
  8. ollie

ollie New Member

isnt there a 72 hr wait on paypal ?? :D

what they have is encryption, whih makes it easier than setting up ssl
  9. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Yes, yes, there is no freedom of speech in this forum! :) It is not proper place to advertise or even publish alternative product names. If this guy wants to advertise our website, it is his business, I will not.

Thanks for the link to comparison table, it was really fun to read. And comment regarding 1999 year is fun too. We are in this business since 2002 and there was no such PHP scripts AT ALL except aMember and Dream Account (which is dead now, rest in peace :) ).