AMember Cancellation Script (API)

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by tajjyarden, Mar 5, 2009.

1. tajjyarden

tajjyarden New Member

Hello,

We use InfusionSoft and it was necessary for us to be able to expire an AMember account automatically when a credit card is declined (on max retries). I created this script and wanted to make it available to all. The script can be used to display a cancellation link to your AMember customers, or it can be used by payment gateways to make a POST to expire an account. I hope it will be useful for someone else!

http://www.golen.net/blog/?p=34

Tim
  2. fj_80

fj_80 New Member

Hi Tim,
    I thought you were a savior until I read..."This script does nothing to cancel payments, it just expires the subscription."

I've hired a programmer to load aMember and customize it for 3 subscription sites managed under 1 URL and I need a cancellation feature. But, I need it to also stop the auto recurring billing when a customer cancels. I haven't set it up with my merchant account yet as we're still getting everything finalized, but need this feature.
    Please let me know if you have any advice or knowledge you could share :)

Thanks,
    James

PS- honestly, I can't believe aMember doesn't have a cancelation feature!
  3. tajjyarden

tajjyarden New Member

Hello James,

I think that part of the problem with the cancellation (that I've read so far) has to do with each payment gateway needing to handle it differently. In fact, with our AMember installation we aren't using any of it's payment gateways and instead we use InfusionSoft which is completely independent.

An example of our process is this... Someone buys a product from us (could even be a monthly subscription). InfusionSoft will attempt to charge their credit card up to a max of 4 times. If on the fourth retry it still doesn't go through, then it cancels the subscription in InfusionSoft and makes an HTTP POST to the script that I have posted to auto-expire their AMember-ship.

Depending on what merchant you are using, you should be able to modify this script so that it will use their API to cancel the recurring billing.

I hope that is of some more help! I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner. I had thought I subscribed to this post and would receive an email with any replies. If you need additional help you can email me at tgolen at infomediainc dot com.

Tim
  4. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Larry over at Jlogica has developed a Kill Product plugin that will cancel other subscriptions. If you are using a local payment system like authorize.net it should kill the rebill. If its a 3rd party, like paypal and i think infusionsoft, you need to do that on their site since thats where the rebilling takes place.

David
  5. fj_80

fj_80 New Member

Thanks Tim, that's what I've learned, so it appears that I'll just have to get someone to customize it for me should the plugin not have a cancellation feature.

Thanks David, I'm using a 3rd party system.