Amazon S3

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by mhankins, Jun 7, 2010.

1. mhankins

mhankins New Member

I will be serving over 5000+ files from my Joomla site and I would like to use Amazon S3 instead getting a dedicated server. Is this possible with this plugin?
  2. grantswaim

grantswaim New Member

aMember can block access to parts of your Joomla site, but links to a file on S3 (that does not require authentication) could easily be bookmarked and visited without a membership.

You need to set up the S3 files to require authentication for access. Then use a script that will call those files and provide authentication to access them. For even more security, these scripts usually generate temporary URLs that expire.

If you were using WordPress, I would recommend S3FlowShield, but I am sure there is a similar program for Joomla. Do a search for S3 and Joomla.

Good Luck...
  3. mhankins

mhankins New Member

Yes, it would be nice if the program supported uploading directly to amazon s3 buckets / directories though. When I ask does it support it, that is more or less what I mean.
  4. parkerj

parkerj aMember Pro Customer

Is it not possible to use .htaccess authentication by adding a .htaccess file into your bucket?
  5. grantswaim

grantswaim New Member

I use the Firefox browser S3Fox extension for uploads and file maintenance on S3. It works great and can be uploading large files in the background while you are doing other things.