Amazon S3 Setup

Discussion in 'Setting-up protection' started by powerkeys, Feb 16, 2016.

1. powerkeys

powerkeys Member

I'm new to Amazon S3, and am having trouble finding information on exactly how to set up the buckets and access policies needed to use it with aMember.

From what I've seen in the forum here, I need to set up a IAM policy, but I can't find any specifics on exactly how this is done.

Can anyone point me to a detailed step-by-step guide on this?

Also, do I need to set up separate buckets for each product, or will all products go into a single bucket?

And one last thing -- I have all my product files currently on my VPS, and would love to transfer them directly to S3. Any hints on how to do this?

Thanks.
  2. jenolan

jenolan aMember Coder

If you can install the command line tool s3cmd (google it) then you can use the s3 just as if it were local to your system, I use it to copy back backups and so on, so long as you are comfortable using the CLI your home.

As to how aMember links to S3 I have not played with that, will give it a go and tell yah.
  3. jenolan

jenolan aMember Coder

OK Here we go
    1. Create IAM User (if req'd)
    2. Show security credentials ... AWS Access & Secret key
    3. Grant access to bucket AmazonS3ReadOnlyAccess
    4. Enable S3 plugin and enter details from #2
    5. Go to ACP > Protect Content > Files > browse > S3
    As you move your files to S3 you should be able to 'delete' the file there, and link to the file on S3

Good Luck!
    powerkeys and caesar like this.
  4. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

5. powerkeys

powerkeys Member

Thanks Jenolan. I had found references to the s3cmd tool in my original Google search, and had decided that it was probably more trouble than it was worth. Although I have over 10GB of files to transfer, I have already uploaded most of them overnight.

I'm already seeing that aMember will only import one file at a time, which is going to be problematic. For one product, there are 10 ZIP files, and I was hoping to make the individual MP3s available separately, to be played on site. There are 360 of them. Looks like I may have to study the database to figure out a way to do a mass import and assign to product.

Also, thanks for the step-by-step. It's just an overview, but it helps. I really wish Amazon would create easy-to-follow guides instead of the complicated techno-speak. None of their "typical use cases" address protected content for a membership site.

Two more questions with this. We're supposed to set privacy settings on the files so they cannot be accessed directly. How is this done?

And finally, it looks like a link is created for each file in the form of http://domain.com/amember/content/f/id/1/. Do I copy these links to my HTML pages for member access, or will this not work? And if not, what is the recommended process?

Actually, there is one other question. When a member clicks a download link, are they redirected to the S3 link for direct download, or is the file "processed" through PHP? And if they are redirected, what stops them from sharing the direct link with others?

Caesar, I had looked at that video a few times, and it says nothing about how to set things up on the Amazon S3 side.
  6. jenolan

jenolan aMember Coder

Once you have the aMember link it does a direct download.

In S3 the default is no public access.