Amazon Payment API Amember integration?

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by skippybosco, Aug 3, 2007.

1. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

This should be an easy one..
    --
    http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sc_fe_c...604-5529567?ie=UTF8&node=342430011&no=3435361
    --
    mazon Flexible Payments Service (Amazon FPS) is the first payments service designed from the ground up specifically for developers. The set of web services APIs allows the movement of money between any two entities, humans or computers. It is built on top of Amazon's reliable and scalable payment infrastructure.

Amazon FPS offers developers unmatched flexibility in how they can structure payment instructions, including standing instructions that can remain in place for multiple transactions. These instructions impose conditions and constraints on money movements and can be set by both senders and receivers of funds. For example, a sender might set a spending limit per week for a particular named recipient. Only that named recipient would be able to withdraw funds and only up to an amount per week equal to the spending limit. A piece of FPS functionality called the GateKeeper automatically enforces the constraints you set with payment instructions. When the sender or receiver is a computer system, payment instructions are set programmatically using APIs. FPS also provides a simple set of user interfaces that humans can use. From the users' point of view, they simply see terms of service and a request to accept those terms.

Developers are free to set up an unlimited number of payment instructions. This makes it possible, for example, to have a different set of payment instructions for each counterparty with which you do business.

Developers can create payment instructions that are as simple or complex as they desire. For example, creating a relatively complex business model around micro-payments is easy to do with Amazon FPS. Our aggregation feature lets you track and aggregate micro-payments into a single payment transaction, saving on transaction processing costs and avoiding having to build complex ledger functionality into your own applications. Without this capability micro-payments would be difficult or cost-prohibitive.

Additionally, Amazon FPS exposes a different fee structure for each of the underlying payment methods enabled: credit cards, bank account debits, and Amazon Payments balance transfers. Amazon's cost to process a payment through a bank account debit is less than our cost via credit card. Our cost for processing an Amazon Payments balance transfer is less still. By exposing different fees for each of these three methods, we can pass on savings from bank account debits and balance transfers, allowing developers to save money. In each case, we take on the complexity of managing security and fraud protection.

Importantly, Amazon FPS also provides developers with the easiest way to charge Amazon's tens of millions of customers (with their permission, of course!). Amazon customers can pay using the same login credentials and payment information they already have on file with us. This helps Amazon customers keep their payment information secure and removes the friction you would face if you needed to get customers to enter their payment information before they could make a purchase.

Amazon FPS Functionality
    You can use the extensive feature set of Amazon FPS to conduct a wide variety of transactions under virtually any set of constraints. Key features include:

* Send and receive money using credit card, bank account or Amazon Payments balance transfer as payment methods.
    * Create "Payment Instructions" to define conditions and constraints desired for a given transaction, and programmatically obtain payment authorizations or "tokens" that represent these Payment Instructions from customers.
    * Execute one-time, multiple, or recurring payments on behalf of customers.
    * Aggregate micro-transactions into a single larger transaction using Prepaid and Postpaid capabilities.
    * Build payment applications where you are neither the sender nor the recipient of funds. You can build marketplace applications that enable the movement of money between two third parties.
    * View account balances, transaction histories, and transaction details on the Amazon Payments web site.
    * Utilize the Amazon FPS sandbox to build and test applications without using real money or incurring any transaction charges.

Service Highlights

Flexible: Amazon FPS provides developers with a new level of flexibility in how they can execute payments.

Every FPS transaction has a sender (party making payments), a recipient (party receiving payments), and a caller (party making the API calls to Amazon FPS). Callers are the same as recipients if the developer is the party receiving funds, but developers can also act as third-party callers enabling a transaction between a sender and a recipient (and taking a cut of transactions if desired).

Each party to a transaction might want the flexibility to place conditions or rules around that transaction (such as "allow only five transactions or $50 per month," or "refuse payment after August 1"). Typically, developers have not had an easy mechanism for allowing senders and recipients to express these preferences. Amazon FPS uses a feature called Payment Instructions to make it easy to set whatever constraints each party desires. Developers can use the Gatekeeper language to programmatically describe whatever instructions are needed - virtually without limitation.

Developers can simplify the complexity of setting Payment Instructions for senders and recipients via a set of user interface pipelines provided by Amazon FPS. Callers send users to these user interfaces where they view a proposed set of Payment Instructions, presented simply as terms of service. By agreeing to those terms, senders are authorizing the Payment Instructions to be installed for use in a transaction.
    operations using tokens.
  2. XUnleash

XUnleash aMember Pro Customer

Bump...

Is there any work towards this plugin?
  3. virtualbina

virtualbina New Member

Hi,

I would like to know as well if there are any payment integrations with AmazonPayments.

I'm currently using PayPal with Amember because of the flexibility that
    non of the other payment processor provides. But AmazonPayments
    looks like it offers the same amount of flexibility. Maybe even more.

It would be a great alternative payment method that I could add for
    my members.

~ Bina
  4. XUnleash

Any word from alex?
  5. glens

glens New Member

Me Too

I'd also like to see this payment system added...
  6. XUnleash

agreed, this system puts paypal to shame. Supports everything paypal does and alot more!
  7. XUnleash

Shameless.. bump.
  8. XUnleash

Yet another bump.

This processor blows paypal away. Supports recurring, full API, etc. Please support it!
  9. XUnleash

Yet another bump. Seems the creators of amember have moved onto other things.

I hope I dont need to start looking for a better supported membership program.
  10. tomfra

tomfra Member

Have you contacted Alex through the helpdesk and sent him the system specification / integration docs already?

Tomas
  11. david05

david05 New Member

It clearly says in bold red letters, at the top of every aMember forum:

"CGI-Central doesn't provide official support via this forum. To get quick response to your question, please contact us using Trouble Tickets system"

Alex's customer support is absolutely second to none, they have fixed many problems on my site and always quick. Search the forums and read the testimonials section for many, many other recommendations.

Hope this helps!

P.S. I think that the Amazon API is worth looking into, especially as it seems quite powerful. Has anyone tried out the service properly yet?
  12. kimberlymon

kimberlymon New Member

I have been working with PayPal, DalPay, etc
    Now I see this programme offers unlimited possibilities. Wonder if it is an open source?
  13. skippybosco

This program being Amember? No Amember is not open source.. (nor is Amazon Payment for that matter)

I agree with David, my intent in starting this thread was just (wow in August of 2007) was to just let folks know there were options out there and for discussion of it's pros and cons. Sorry for any confusion.

Until there is official support for it, if you would like to use Amazon Payment either contact Amember support or a developer of your choosing to assist in implementing :)
  14. skippybosco

Ok, it is official, let's start the official support requests :)

https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/index.htm
    ---
    Checkout By Amazon is a complete checkout solution that leverages Amazon's e-commerce capabilities and offers your customers a familiar, trusted experience.

Amazon Simple Pay is a set of payment-only products that allow your customers to use payment information from their Amazon.com account as a payment method on your website.
    --
  15. tomfra

tomfra Member

US-only as I see. Useless for me, unfortunately.

Tomas
  16. skippybosco

Hey Tomas,

I didn't see any mention of this being US only. Did you see a blurb or a link to that point?

Given this now powers Amazon.com as it's payment engine I would think it would be more internationally supported.
  17. tomfra

tomfra Member

Go to the "Checkout by Amazon" page at https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/business?sn=cba/o and click at the "Signup for this service" button.

At the top of that page it says:

Please have the following ready before you begin:

* Your business name, address, and contact information
    * A U.S.-based credit card and billing address
    * A U.S.-based phone number where you can be reached during this registration process

Tomas
  18. skippybosco

Ok, sorry confused US based business with US based customers..
  19. movoxo

movoxo New Member

Amazon Payments Plugin - Paid Work

I'll pay $40 for this if any current coders are up for it - if not, then let me know and I'll have one of my staff programmers make it and then sell it here.

Thanks,
    RogerV
    roger at swiftcrm dot c0m - please msg me if planning to create this + post on here so others know.
  20. freeland

freeland New Member

Has there been any progress on this? Has anyone managed to do this?