Add second "email" button to User Info template page

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by pcgaming, Sep 28, 2012.

1. pcgaming

pcgaming New Member

Hi,

We would like to add a second email button on the User Info page in the admin control panel. Currently, there is a "Resend Signup Email" button. We'd like to have a button that would send out an optional second email (could be one of the existing unused emails in the Email configuration), that would go to all members, welcoming the new member to our organization.

I need some direction on how to start going about doing this. In aMember 3 we simply hacked the code into place.

I am assuming as a first step, I would need to duplicate a template into the "application/default/themes-admin" folder. However, when I look at what I think is the correct view, "user.phtml", it doesn't contain any of the form fields.

We'd probably also need a custom function in site.php or perhaps a custom brick would be better?

Thank you.
  2. pcgaming

pcgaming New Member

I am guessing from the silence no one knows how to do this, and the folks at aMember pro don't know either. I'll try hacking the core I guess. Seems a shame.
  3. pcgaming

pcgaming New Member

Additional Information. We still need to do this, but there is a small change now. We need to have the welcome email sent out to a separate single email address, which is a mailing list with all our members signed on. I'd still like to use a template from the system to create the email so I don't have to do it manually each time.

Any one have any thoughts on how I might proceed with doing this?
  4. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

You can do this by setting up an Auto-Responder email and it would work automatically. This is found at Products -> Protect Content -> eMail Messages -> New Auto Responder. No custom coding necessary.

I would either use a the built-in emailing feature that is powerful when used with advanced search or use one of the commercial lists that integrates with aMember such as MailChimp. Again no custom coding necessary.
  5. pcgaming

pcgaming New Member

Thanks for the response, but unfortunately that is not the answer to our issue. We use amember slightly differently than most. Bending v3 to do exactly what we wanted was easy. 4... not so much.

Each user get manually approved by us. Once they are approved and certain features are customized on their account we use one of the built in features to manually send a notice to the new member. We also then want to notify all our other close to 3000 members of this new member. We already have our mailing lists and they work great. All we need is a built in way (again, easy on amember 3) to add this feature to the control panel.

All this would be easy if it were just me, but it's not, we have 5 sometimes 6 admins and they all need training. So we were hoping to have this streamlined. Having a single button the person presses and the message goes out, makes the most sense.
  6. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

Just wanted to make sure you understand the power of the auto-responder feature. You set it up and you can use many system and user variables in the text. You can have it automatically mail out when a user starts a membership. If you manually approve the membership it is the same thing. The auto-responder triggers off of memberships. You can also have if email from immediately to "n" days after subscription starts. You can define as many of these as you want.

autoresponder.png
  7. david_hunt

david_hunt aMember Pro Customer

Slightly off topic here but... I have been struggling with formatting emails nicely and dealing with graphics - I cant seem to access them easily unless I go into posts or the website and use an external link - whihc is annoying - what am i missing?
  8. edward_shephard

edward_shephard aMember Pro Customer

I turn the editor to source mode and just paste in the HTML which I work-up in Coda
  9. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

By the way it is possible to disable WYSIWYG editor completely if you do not need it. It is possible to do at
    aMember CP -> Configuration -> Setup/Configuration (Disable Visual HTML Editor)