Access to additional profile fields

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by steveg, Feb 28, 2006.

1. steveg

steveg New Member

I have just installed aMember Pro and I'm trying to prepare it for my project.

I need to be able to set up a number of 'interest groups' in a members profile and have the ability to email the member list depending on their interests.

I can add the interest groups to the profile ok but I'm struggling to see how I can access this information in order to email just the right group of members.

For instance if I have interest groups 'cats', 'dogs', 'snakes' and 'spiders' the user will specify which animals they are interested in when they sign up. When I have an offer say on 'spider cages' then I want to email everyone who has an interest in 'spiders'.

Could you tell me how I might accomplish this please.

Steve
  2. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Steve,
    unfortunately, aMember does not support this feature yet.
  3. steveg

steveg New Member

Hi Alex,

That's ok but is it possible for you to show me how to implement my own mailing system? I can handle the mail sending part but I need to know how to access the additional field data in each members profile.

I've installed aMember into the same database that my main application will be using so I should be able to access the data ok. If you could tell me how best to get the data from the aMember tables it would help me a lot.

Steve
  4. alex

Checkbox fields must be "common" type fields. Lets say you name field as "lists".

Then you can do something like that in code:

PHP:
    // non-expired users only 
    $q mysql_query("SELECT * FROM amember_users WHERE status = 1");
    while (
    $u mysql_fetch_assoc($q)){

$data unserialize($u['data']);

$lists $data['lists'];

// do something with info

print_r($u); print_r($lists);
    }
  5. steveg

steveg New Member

Hi Alex,

Thanks, I think that is just what I need.

I've been reading the manual again and I was wondering whether I can use the global '$db' in my own php code. It looks as if the use is confined to the 'site.inc.php' file which would be located in my '/amember' folder. Can I use it from files in the root folder?

If not I shall access the database directly as in your example. My concern is that it is possible for the database structure to change between upgrades but it is less likely that '$db' would change.

Steve
  6. alex

Steve,
    THIS database table won't be changed, so feel free to access it for reading directly.
  7. steveg

steveg New Member

Hi Alex,

That was a very emphatic THIS :) It's nice to use a stable product for a change.

Steve