Accepting email change only after verification

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by netserv3, Nov 29, 2004.

1. netserv3

netserv3 Guest

Hi everybody,
    I am sure most people want this feature. On user profile page, when a user changes his email address, the aMemember should send a validation email to the new address with a verification link to be clicked. The change should be effective only after the verification link in the validation email is clicked.

A much needed feature for me, at least. Anyone here done it or Alex can implement it in the comming update?

Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. davido

davido New Member

I agree. I think this is an important function. It is common in many online subscriptions and I would love to see it in amember pro. Davido.
  3. roni

roni Guest

email one user

also i would like to email a singel user from my customer list for the control panel, so that the user would recieve the email from the site he subscribed, not my outlook express where the default email is different.
  4. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

I don't mind to implement this feature, but I always wanted to know - why is it necessary? Of course, I know why PayPal needs it, but a membership site...
  5. jasondavis

jasondavis New Member

I think it is useful if you are requiring an active email, so people can't verify there account and then change it to some bogus email address where you can never reach them again.
  6. alex

What can prevent peoples from registering an free email account somewhere on Yahoo, and use it for registrations only?

If user WANTS unsubscribe from your e-mail messages you should offer them a way to do that. Elsewhere, you will find your email in SPAM senders databases very soon. Am I wrong?
  7. netserv3

netserv3 Guest

Yes, we respect user's privacy and already enabled the "unsubscribe" link, but there are some other reasons as well:

- many SPAM databases have become a pain in the *** due to inefficient filtering rules. A website hosted on a shared server gets punished due to any other site hosted on the same IP. I want to ensure that a user is able to receive account validation, expiration... emails... and an active friendly email address of the user is necessary.

- Many people don't bother to unsubscribe, they simply change the email to anything, and the subscription expiry email or other maintenance notices are returned (think of 10,000 members) or delivered to the wrong persons because somebody changed his email address to that blindly - a great risk of being reported as SPAM.

- the list could go on...
  8. alex

Thank you for explanation. It is really a great feature to add, we will consider this for later time. I added it to todo-list.
  9. davido

davido New Member

This is good news - I welcome this feature.
  10. netserv3

netserv3 Guest

Thanks Alex.

I have a suggestion. You should publish your to-do list as a poll. The members should vote to help you prioritize the most wanted features. :D
  11. alex

Sounds nice, but I'm not going to share your and my ideas with competitors :)
  12. Ut.

Ut. New Member

Still don't you have a time to work on this Alex?

Ut
  13. alex

Will try to implement this in next version.
  14. fishnyc22

fishnyc22 New Member

Was this ever implemented? I just had a user subscribe to our service then edit their email address to an invalid one. We want to keep valid email addresses on file and prevent getting a DB full of fake email addresses.

Thanks
  15. alex

No, this has not yet implemented.
  16. floridaz

floridaz New Member

It's been a year. Not yet? One potential problem (but perhaps rare). If a user changes his email w/o the need to verify but makes a type-O in the process. Six months later he forgets it but is out of luck since they have both a forgotten p/w AND the wrong email.

OH MY! What to do?