A few queries before getting started...

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by Mou, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Mou

Mou New Member

Hi Alex,

A few queries before getting started

#1 I need this.

After paying and login in members arrives in the membership area which have several departments.Out of these departments 2 are ,login pages for 2 other membership site hosted on different domains. I saw the following in your product feature....
    "Members may have multiple subscriptions simultaneously (for different products) with only one username/password for all them..."

My question is can my members log in the different websites using same userid and password?

#2 I wish to use subdomain of my current website and point a new domain name to the subdomain. Will there be any problem in running amember script in subdomain

#3 In midst of all the confusion with 2CO ,I want to start testing with paypal,and later switch on to 2CO(hopefully once their problem gets solved). Can I do that? Or Rather can I continue to enable members to pay by a secondary payment method like paypal/IKOBO ?

#4 The theme of my membership site is such that there is need of a forum for the members.But I don't want my members to have to sign up agian for the forum.Can amember integrate forum? In that case which is the best option you suggst without spending a lot again for the forum script

#5 Read in some of the threads that, there was a free script available for testing .How do I get started with the testing now? Do I download the 30 days trial and install it in the subdomain and once everything works out can I just pay your price ,or there is any need for further upgradation/installation for the paid script

Thanks in advance
    Mou
  2. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

1. All these sites must be on the same server. Also, it will work only with htpaswd prtoection (=popup login box), and user will have to login again on each website.

2. No problems at all, despite the fact that you will be able to use mod_rewrite protection only for files in the same subdomain.

3. Yes, it is all possible and easy.

4. aMember has plugins for lot of forums - have a look here:
    http://www.cgi-central.net/scripts/amember/features.php#

5. Mou, you can start with trial version. Testing script is available on the trial download page, you can run it before using trial version. You can order aMember Pro version, and it will be easy upgrade from trial to Pro.
  3. Mou

Mou New Member

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your prompt reply

I've just downloaded the trial version and in the process of
    going through the docs before I install it

Your docs says....

>>>

aMember can be integrated with third-party scripts, such as bulletin boards, Content Management Systems, trouble tickets systems and so on.

For example, it can maintain a vBulletin Board database, so that only active (paid and not-expired) members are able to access the board. Thus a user can have a single login for both aMember and vBulletin and (in case of vBulletin board) will need to login only once in to access protected areas with HTML content and the vBulletin board.

>>>>

Can this be done with phpbb i.e single login for the forum and other folders
    in the member area. Of course I'm ready to pay for the plugin needed, but don't want to spend money, at the moment for a forum software as phbb does the job quite well.

Read in one of the post that you have something like this for "Pilot" so can I assume that it can be done and go ahead with the installation

I want the whole process to go through smoothly as quickly as possible and will buy the pro script as soon as I have a basic understanding of the features once I install the trial now

Thanks in advance
    Mou
  4. alex

We offer integration module for phpBB, it costs $40 and can be ordered from aMember ordering page.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to implement "single-login" for phpBB plugin. So, user will have the same usename and password, but he will need to login separatly to aMember protected areas and to phpBB.
  5. Mou

Mou New Member

Hi Alex,

I was referring to the last message of this post
    http://www.cgi-central.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1349&page=2&pp=15
    where it pilot says that you have installed phpbb with amember so that users have same uid and passwords. Though it's not clear (from the post) whether the members can access all through single login...so thought asking you about it once again

And if in case phpbb does not work I guess I've to spend money again
    on invision board + plugin for it

Does IPB work the way I need i.e everything (all member folders +bulletin board) inside protected member area and accessible through a single login with same uid and password ? Possible ? if so what's the cost of IPB plugin

Mou
  6. alex

7. Mou

Mou New Member

Thanks Alex

Get back to you in a day or 2

Mou
  8. pilot

pilot New Member

Hi Mou

The phpBB2 board does require a log in.

The way I set this up was to modify the tick box to 'remember me' at log in page in the phpBB2 script so the tick box was permanantly selected.

The first time a user registers with Amember and pays, then details UID and PASSWORD are populated into phpBB2 database. When the user uses the phpBB2 board for the first time a double log in is required, but after that, and as long as they are using the same machine with cookies enabled, they will be remembered afterwards and only have to log on once in Amember.

Worked well.

Hope this helps
  9. Mou

Mou New Member

Hi Pilot

Thanks for the input.

I think I'll give it a try once I install the membership script.

Don't want to spend money on a board software as phpbb
    does the job so well .However if things don't work out as I want
    may have to switch for invision....hope that won't mess up
    the whole thing

I'll post here again to let you know about the progress in case anyone else is also thinking of going about it this way...

Thanks once again
    Mou
  10. Mou

Mou New Member

Hi Alex,

Ok I downloaded the amember trial version and have installed it in a subdomain of my existing website to get a feel of it.

Looking further it appears that Mambo CMS would serve the purpose of my membership site .An added advantage a simpleboard forum that has been built groundup for Mambo ,and from the example sites so far, it does mot require any extra login . It does appear that Mambo +amember will be agood combination

Anyone here using this combination? It'd be a great help to know how the combination is working for them....

I have no experience with Mambo but shouldn't be a problem I think...so what is the path forward Alex,should I download mambo and install it to have a feel and then order the plugin+script? Will there be any problem if I install Mamb0
    first (to have a feel about it's usage) and then get your help for installing the plugin ?

Thanks
    Mou
  11. alex

Yes, lot of peoples using this combination. I'm not sure if someone is reading this forum, however ;)

Yes, you can install Mambo, configure and try it as you wish. aMember will be installed into a separate folder and will not change Mambo installation. aMember will just manage users in Mambo database.
  12. mudpit

mudpit Guest

mambo and Amember

Hello,

I have installed Mambo 4.5 and installed Amember into a dir in the root (Mambo) dir. I am using separate databases for both apps. Before I continue, how do I integrate the two. There is mention of Mambo support/component in Amember but I haven't yet found out how to use it. Can anyone tell me what to do next...or what/where doumentation is?

Apologies if I have missed something simple....

BTW I am only using the trial version of Amember to begin with.

cheers
  13. alex

double question!
  14. mudpit

mudpit Guest

A double question yes! and neither answered sufficiently...

How does one check out the Mambo module if there is no trial on offer?

Is it only the module that is required or is the entire Amember Pro app required with the module?

Is anyone able to suggest how I might trial Amember with Mambo. Amember looks very good and if it works I may purchase it.

thanks again...
  15. alex

We offer 30-days moneyback guarantee. You can order aMember Pro+Mambo plugin, and get your money returned to you if necessary.
    Please ask all following questions at https://www.cgi-central.net/support/